new gas

-

james spencer

Reaction score
A year ago we finished building 1967 plymouth barracuda since that time we have replaced 2 filler neck to gas tank seals the tank and filler neck are brand new we think the new gas is eating the seal is there anyone having the same problem thans

I have been hearing about that sort of problem. I have read that the alcohol content in the fuel eats away the old materials.

Fuel ate the fuel line in the wifes car and caused a fire... damn ethanol.. they put about 15 % in our fuel....

James
What is happening to the gasket? Seems odd to me that even at 15% ethanol it would destroy a gasket that quickly. The only time you would have more than residue on the gasket is if you filled the tank to the point the gas started coming up the filler tube. I know it happens with fuel line but the fuel is sitting inside the rubber constantly. You have any photos of the damaged gaskets?
~Michael

James
What is happening to the gasket? Seems odd to me that even at 15% ethanol it would destroy a gasket that quickly. The only time you would have more than residue on the gasket is if you filled the tank to the point the gas started coming up the filler tube. I know it happens with fuel line but the fuel is sitting inside the rubber constantly. You have any photos of the damaged gaskets?
~Michael

The gasket on an a-body is located in the side of the fuel tank. I would guess that if you had more than 2/3 of a tank the gasket would be in contact with the fuel while just sitting still. Driving around the gasket would have gas sloshed on it all the time.

The gasket on an a-body is located in the side of the fuel tank. I would guess that if you had more than 2/3 of a tank the gasket would be in contact with the fuel while just sitting still. Driving around the gasket would have gas sloshed on it all the time.

Bill;
Not sure of the configuration of the barracuda fuel tank so I thought I would ask. In my Dart I can remove the fuel neck at 3/4 of a tank of gas and not spill any. Yes driving around is going to cause the fuel to slosh around and come in contact with the gasket but as soon as the vehicle is parked it would dry out. If the fuel is actually eating the rubber gasket that quickly I would wonder what about his fuel lines. It would not surprise me that the ethanol eats away at the gasket but 2 in a year seems extreme for just a fuel issue. Just my thoughts though.
~Michael

Bill;
Not sure of the configuration of the barracuda fuel tank so I thought I would ask. In my Dart I can remove the fuel neck at 3/4 of a tank of gas and not spill any. Yes driving around is going to cause the fuel to slosh around and come in contact with the gasket but as soon as the vehicle is parked it would dry out. If the fuel is actually eating the rubber gasket that quickly I would wonder what about his fuel lines. It would not surprise me that the ethanol eats away at the gasket but 2 in a year seems extreme for just a fuel issue. Just my thoughts though.
~Michael

~Michael
It may be 3/4 to the bottom of the seal instead of 2/3. It will be in the same location on both of our cars and if you fill the tank it will be in gas. I put a new fuel pump in my 1997 Chev 1 ton wrecker. I seldom use that truck because I prefer the diesel rollback. 2 months later I went out to start the Chev and I was getting no fuel so my mechanic pulled the pump to find that the ethanol had turned the rubber sleeve that goes around the pump to jelly and it had slid down and covered the strainer.

Bill

If the fuel was the problem, dont you think all of us would have the same problem ?
If the seal you removed is in fact deteriorated I suggest the problem is the material used in making that reproduction seal. If not the diameters of the mating parts is the issue.
I have a decent OEM seal here I could send but will it also leak when installed to a reproduction tank and tube ? Who knows.
I also have the OEM tank and tube out of my 67 so I could report those diameters if it would help. Good luck in any case.

~Michael
It may be 3/4 to the bottom of the seal instead of 2/3. It will be in the same location on both of our cars and if you fill the tank it will be in gas. I put a new fuel pump in my 1997 Chev 1 ton wrecker. I seldom use that truck because I prefer the diesel rollback. 2 months later I went out to start the Chev and I was getting no fuel so my mechanic pulled the pump to find that the ethanol had turned the rubber sleeve that goes around the pump to jelly and it had slid down and covered the strainer.

Bill

Bill;
Thanks for the info. I am surprised that the new fuel pump for your wrecker did not come with a new sleeve that would resist the effects of the ethanol. Most fuel I buy in the Pacific North West is 10% ethanol. What is the concentration where you are at? I have changed out many rubber connecting lines in vehicles due do deterioration from ethanol but never had a problem with fuel pump or gas tank parts. I will have to keep a close eye on my Dart.
~Michael

Bill;
Thanks for the info. I am surprised that the new fuel pump for your wrecker did not come with a new sleeve that would resist the effects of the ethanol. Most fuel I buy in the Pacific North West is 10% ethanol. What is the concentration where you are at? I have changed out many rubber connecting lines in vehicles due do deterioration from ethanol but never had a problem with fuel pump or gas tank parts. I will have to keep a close eye on my Dart.
~Michael

I was too. It had most likely been laying around in a warehouse somewhere and I was the lucky victum. Unluckily they don't have to rotate auto parts like they do food.
Ours is 10%. I am jsu going to keep the tank 1/2 full on my a-bodies if I am not driving them.

Looks like it will be worth the extra money to buy real gas here.

well i guess we have to drop the tank again i bought a new seal the only good part is using up the gas thats in the tank thanks guys

I think RedFish is closer to the reason. We had plain gasoline eating repop seals. The rubber first softened then turned to goo. I don't think they are made of the best or correct material. I finally found OEM seals on ebay. Problem solved.

-
Back