New gears

-

DRVDuster

Reaction score
Guys, quick question, what will be better, 3.07 or 3.73, my driving is mostly city, running 25.7" tires??

depends what you are trying to acheve? good fuel milage, or a car that is quicker from a stop light?

Any specs on your car? Engine, transmission, converter etc...

Your best choice is probably something right in between LOL 3.23 or 3.55 gears will give you a nice compromise, enough "getup and go" for the stoplight to stoplight, and still a nice gear to cruise with on the highway.

Engine is a 318, 4 bb, headers, trans is a 883.
90% of my driving is city, a lot of stop lights and speed bumps, but also gas prices are not exactly friendly right now, if I go with the 3.07, how much will affect a lot the get up?

Since you are using a 883. I would suggest going with the 3.55. With the 4 speed and the 318 it won't be bad on fuel and still plenty fun at the stoplights :)

3.07 is definitely not a performance gear :), if in doubt, the 3.23 is always a save way to go, still very fuel friendly and just enough to make you feel the take-offs. I upgraded my 2.44 gears to a 3.23 and sometimes I think I should have gone with the 3.55.

My MPG actually increased (yes you read that right INCREASED LOL) after changing the 2.44 highway gears to a mild performance oriented 3.23 gear due to a higher then stock stall converter in my 727. With the 2.44 gears it never really got above the stall speed and therefor was very uneconomical.

What rear end are you using? I've never heard of a 3.07 in a 8.75 rear

That's a 3.07 allright but I've never seen one in an 8 3/4. I wouldn't use anything higher (lower number) than a 3.23 for a manual trans.....too hard on the clutch.

Check your teeth again on the crown prob 41 make it 2.93 very common gear. Also never seen the crown gear without the ratio stamped on it what gear it is

-
Back