New Guy Dayton, Ohio

-
Welcome from a "Short Timer"! I have not been here a month yet, but I am "years" smarter! These folks really know their stuff!! Great Forum!!

Mike

whew - you do have some wiring issues.. you are right on the $$ with your assessment that you need an all new wiring harness, are you planning to "hot rod" the car - maybe go racing, or keeping it street?

whew - you do have some wiring issues.. you are right on the $$ with your assessment that you need an all new wiring harness, are you planning to "hot rod" the car - maybe go racing, or keeping it street?
I'd like to keep it street, for street racing.

so I clean some ground yesterday and I got my hazard flashers to start blinking and making noise but my but my starter is now toast my headers sit right up against the starter, I'm taking I'm taking it to a fabrication shop at 2 I got a mini high-torque starter I hope it bolts up It's my truck Magnum 6 cylinder dodge Dakota took it off of. Making a heat shield for it

so I clean some ground yesterday and I got my hazard flashers to start blinking and making noise but my but my starter is now toast my headers sit right up against the starter, I'm taking I'm taking it to a fabrication shop at 2 I got a mini high-torque starter I hope it bolts up It's my truck Magnum 6 cylinder dodge Dakota took it off of. Making a heat shield for it
it should fit right in there - I've never used one (always bought aftermarket), but everything I have read or heard tells me you're good to go -- the hard part is probably going to be getting the original starter out.. it's very likely that the header will need to be completely loosened up..

if it's a manual trans yea - if it's an automatic, some may say yes - I urge you not to try it. Hell, if you're only 7 blocks away, get a buddy and a strong rope or chain - yea, it's illegal - but you've got such a short distance to go.. :D

if it's a manual trans yea - if it's an automatic, some may say yes - I urge you not to try it. Hell, if you're only 7 blocks away, get a buddy and a strong rope or chain - yea, it's illegal - but you've got such a short distance to go.. :D
Maybe I will beat it with a hammer

Me baby sitting it ©®™℅[] poor car getting snowed on

tmp_29502-IMG_20161213_142618778324632.jpg

whew - you gotta be careful what you say around here - there are MANY who would twist that around and give you a pretty hard time (think strong R rating)... myself being one of them. For NOW I'll be nice... but consider yourself warned.. :lol:
- it's not a wives tale that sometimes a sharp smack with a hammer will allow the starter to work.. are you sure the starter isn't loose? or the wiring is making full contact? have you tried "jumping" it to see if it spins?

whew - you gotta be careful what you say around here - there are MANY who would twist that around and give you a pretty hard time (think strong R rating)... myself being one of them. For NOW I'll be nice... but consider yourself warned.. :lol:
- it's not a wives tale that sometimes a sharp smack with a hammer will allow the starter to work.. are you sure the starter isn't loose? or the wiring is making full contact? have you tried "jumping" it to see if it spins?
The Bendix is stuck , ....

you might be able to get it unstuck by turning the engine - take a 1/2" socket wrench to the crank bolt and see if the engine will rotate for you - this is WAY easier to do with a couple of spark plugs out

you might be able to get it unstuck by turning the engine - take a 1/2" socket wrench to the crank bolt and see if the engine will rotate for you - this is WAY easier to do with a couple of spark plugs out
Here I am changing starter, starter off header ... Yea unbolting it

tmp_10953-IMG_20161213_192750763047423.jpg

tmp_10953-IMG_20161213_203607968024655.jpg

tmp_10953-IMG_20161213_192832-1488817842.jpg

oh boy... good luck with it, they can be a bear..
Pff, I got it out unloosened header both ends, turn wheel all the way to right side, at that point you have enough room you have to manhandle at that point you have enough room you have to man handle it turn it upside down Bendix first coming out the bottom

Mini going on rt going on now, thought control arm had to come off then I seen a exit, just, one on left just took off trash, I gently tapped it to drive it here

tmp_32125-IMG_20161213_223115-1434309687.jpg

Bolts line up perfect, nose is giving me little problem
did you get it? now that you mention it - I feel like have read that the starter off of a Dakota has to be modified slightly ..??? as I said, I have never used one so I am not sure - I suggest (if you didn't get it in there) that you start a new thread - I am positive that it has been done and many will chime in and help you out.

-
Back