New Guy From STL, MO - Picking up a '74 Dart Swinger

-

low_kota

Reaction score
I've been lurking the forum for a while and have always wanted an A body. Well, I finally have the chance to own one. It's a 1974 Dodge Dart Swinger with a 225 /6 and auto transmission. My Uncle got it on a trade and is selling(practically giving) it to me for $500. It is a factory A/C car with red paint, white interior, and a black vinyl top. Everything on the car works, even the radio! It runs and drives, all I need to do to it before driving it home, about 120 miles, is put a set of tires on it. It does need some work, but it is original and complete. I will have some pics for you picture junkies after I pick it up this weekend.:headbang:

I am a longtime MoPar fan and am an active member at www.Dakota-durango.com . My other vehicles are a 2001 dodge dakota SLT and a 2004 Neon R/T. Here are some pics of the Dakota:
l_b1a9ecb8dff04ee7833005a60fa5a14a1.jpg

Truck2.jpg

Right1.jpg

I have done some searching and can't find an exact answer... Does anyone know what width wheel would have come with this car from the factory and the factory tire size? I know that it has 14" SBP steel wheels with hub-caps. I need to get tires for it before I go to pick it up and am unsure of what to buy. Thanks in advance.

Welcome, try our tires and wheels forum you should be able to find a answer there.

Thanks for the welcome guys!
I got my tire problem solved. I checked craigslist and found a guy selling a set of 4 cragar ss sbp wheels and tires for $100. The front wheels have some rust and the chrome is peeling off, but the rears will clean up nice. The tires aren't the best but are streatable for the mean time. The guy was also nice enough to throw in the complete rear end with breaks and leaf springs that were attached to the wheels for free! He says everything works and he took it all out to upgrade to a bigger rear end and LBP wheels.

Welcome to FABO. This is a great place to check out a lot of great rides and get help with your project.

Love the Dakota. I have owned 2 of them myself. My 94 was a lot of fun.

Good luck on the Dart.

well if u need parts when u get it look me up in parting one out right now and im not that far from u tulsa ok is bouts where im at later

Welcome to the board. I used to work in Overland.
Cool, It looks like there are a lot of Missouri and Illinois guys on this forum. I have been talking to some other dakota guys from the dakota-durango site about organizing a cruise / BBQ in the MO area. If it happens I will be sure to let you all know, a dakota / A body cruise might be fun and it would make for some cool pictures...
well if u need parts when u get it look me up in parting one out right now and im not that far from u tulsa ok is bouts where im at later
Thanks for the heads up, I will keep you in mind!

Cool, It looks like there are a lot of Missouri and Illinois guys on this forum. I have been talking to some other dakota guys from the dakota-durango site about organizing a cruise / BBQ in the MO area. If it happens I will be sure to let you all know, a dakota / A body cruise might be fun and it would make for some cool pictures...

Sounds great. I have both an a-body and a Dakota.

Nice Dak . Lets see the A-Body . I'm a few miles north of Hannibal , in Ewing .

I will have plenty of pics when I pick it up this weekend, in the mean time, here are a few of the wheels that I just scored for $100:
d72d20ef.jpg

8dee0bee.jpg

Two of them suck and have chrome peeling off, but the other two look brand new after being cleaned!

Welcome to the insanity! :)

I live south of STL, though I frequent the city and just across the creek in Dupo, IL.

Heck you didn't get hurt on those wheels at all. Great score!

Best of luck,
Jim

Thanks again to everyone for the welcoming comments. I did not get to bring the car home this weekend because the tires on it are too bad to make the 120+ mile trip back to STL and I didn't have the right lug nuts to mount all of the cragars. They came from a 67 dart, so they came with 10 right hand and 10 left hand lug nuts. I need all right hand lug nuts. If anyone has any sitting around please let me know, if not I will buy new ones in a few days. I did, however, pay for the car and pick up the title so that I can get it registered with historic plates. Without further adieu, here are the pics you have all been patiently waiting for...

6805baae.jpg

70c3a1f7.jpg

f4e513b5.jpg

8c4065dc.jpg

f8248bea.jpg

It will need new rear quarters, floor pans, and a few patches in the trunk area. Overall it's very solid and I will be starting a thread in the members restorations section, with a lot more details, when I get the car home in the next week or so.

-
Back