New Guy from the Detroit Area

-

68ValiantSignet

Valiant Owner
Reaction score
I've been visiting the FABO site for awhile now but finally just registered. I picked up this 1968 Plymouth Valiant Signet in October 2008 with 25,943 original miles. It was owned by an elderly lady who passed away in 1974, and who's daughter drove the car for a year after. Garaged from 1975 to 2004 when a local body shop guy bought it with plans of restoring it. He got the engine bay completely finished (in paint) and the rest of the car about 95% ready for paint before he decided to sell it due to the failing economy. It sat quietly in my garage over the winter and in now ready to be given the attention she really deserves.

Plans include a nice small-block (a 273 to eventually be replaced with a 408 stroker or possibly a built 340), a built 904 trans, and a 8-3/4 rear end (w/ complete Caltrac bars/mono-leaf setup). Car will have front disc brakes (either Wilwood or the large "cop" car brakes and 11x2-1/2" rear drum brakes. Wheels will be American Racing Torq Thrust II's with the gray centers 15x6's and 15x8's.

Oh, my father's on the site also... he's ddartdude. He's glad to see I'm following in his footsteps I'm sure. And he knows probably more than anyone else how eager I am to get this project going. Should be painted and on the road by spring of 2010 if not earlier.

-Ryan

valiant050109.jpg

P1010841.jpg

P1010869.jpg

P1010827.jpg

Heckuva a nice foundation to start with- solid, straight and low mileage! Not to mention the Valiant's advantage of being the lightest and most rigid A-body. Price-wise they are usually the cheaper Mopar to get into as well.

Welcome Ryan!

I love that car! That would make a very nice "sleeper"

I can see it now...steel wheels, blackwalls, dog dish caps,
A stock 340 or built 360......but that's just me!

Keep us posted with pics.

Welcome, love the 68's. Have fun with that 273, they can be little screamers with a 4 barrel. Mine will light them up with any brake help.

Welcome! Nice car and it doesn't look like it will take too much to finish 'er up. That shot of the speedo reminds me of that old movie "Duel". Good luck.

Hello Ryan,
I see you live in Roseville too. Nice project you got there. Are you going to have it ready before any of the big cruises? Jayson

Hello Ryan,
I see you live in Roseville too. Nice project you got there. Are you going to have it ready before any of the big cruises? Jayson

Hey Jayson! Don't know if you remember meeting me or not. I'm Alan's (ddartdude from Florida) son. We met at Continental Lanes about a year and a half ago... when I was still building Neon's. I finally found a deal on a clean Valiant, so here I am.

If its ready this year it'll most likley be under slant-6 power with the original 225 powerplant. I may go that route for now since the 273 that will be going in it is at my Dad's house and won't be up here untill August. I've still gotta get a LBP disc brake setup, and buy some LBP axles for my 8-3/4 so I can put my Torq Thrust II's on it. I also need to paint it before I swap the rear end into the car... I don't want any overspray on all my new Caltrac springs and bars.

Stock slant six car with Caltrac rear suspension set-up... a little bit overkill. lol. Maybe I'll just turbo the slant... hmm.

Thanks for the welcome everyone, and the comments on the car! Kinda fuels the ambition to get her together and running.

-Ryan

Welcome, cool looking toy you got. Have fun with it.

Welcome, there are some great people on here!

Welcome aboard , I am just nearing the end of my project 408 68 valiant it has taken me 1 year so far i have all of the parts to finish it,only thing left is to install the 6 point roll bar do the 3" spring relocation and paint it ,body work is all ready done , i want to install roll bars before paint , then install full caltracs setup its all waiting in my shed

Hey Ryan yes I remember you. I didn't read your entire post until later so my post was off. Looks like you got a great project car. Well I look forward to seeing it in the future. Jayson

Welcome Ryan :cheers: Nize1968 Plymouth Valiant Signet =P~
It's good to have you and your father on board with us
Keep us updated and enjoy this great site

Welcome, by the way Egge makes a nice set of 10/1 pistons for a 273. I loved mine.

Jim

-
Back