New guy in Mopar

-

1973dusterkid

Watch This
Reaction score
I am form Buford GA and I am 16 this is my first car

I got me a 1973 plymouth Duster it has a slant 6 225 1bbl in it with 2 speed power glide

firstcar001.jpg

firstcar002.jpg

firstcar003.jpg

Power glide is a GM tranny. The only auto available behind the 225 is the 904, 3 speed

lol. had me going there for a minute.lol

Welcome to the best of the best sites going 1973dusterkid :rock:
There is many great tech's here to help you along when you have any questions :) Let me congratulate you on a cool Mopar to own at 16 years young, AdamR is correct, I have never seen or heard of a 2 speed behind a leaning tower of power /6 in life :toothy9:
Jump on in ad enjoy and learn as I have :colors:

Could be just a fast soft shift and you can't feel it go to second gear..
Yall don't scare this young gun, and make him think the trans is broken....

Have you had it up to say :) 55 yeat ?
It could be just a simple adjustment :colors:

listen, not to discourage you, but i have done it to over 10 a-bodies. it is a pain, alot of money, and patience.

the pain is locating everything at great prices, cause if not, just a thrown together setup will set you back a minumum of 2 grand. and that is bear bones

not a hard swap, as it is pretty straight forward,

Could be just a fast soft shift and you can't feel it go to second gear..
Yall don't scare this young gun, and make him think the trans is broken....

Have you had it up to say :) 55 yeat ?
It could be just a simple adjustment :colors:

we had it to 70 but it sounded like it needed another gear

and if the tranny broke just throw it one the car jack and take it off and see just have not had a chance to do it

at least you are optimistic by the way you make it sound like you can swap the trans in under 2 minutes flat !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey welcome to the site. Good luck with your car and if you need some parts of almost any kind let me know. I'm just up the road from you in Knoxville,TN.

Welcome to FABO !!!
About your no third problem,cruise it to about 50 mph and manual shift it in 2nd and back to third,if you feel no difference then you are not getting third.
If you have no third,look a the carburator and will see a rod that goes to the transmission.
Try temporarily disconnecting the linkage at the transmission lever and let the lever come full forward. If it will then shift to 3rd the problem is in the linkage and you just
need to adjust it right.
If you still have no third it could be a leaking front piston seal...
Front clutch does 3rd and reverse but in reverse you have more line pressure....
Temporary fix is pour 1/3 rd of pint of brake fluid and it will swell that piston seal and after driving third will come back.
The only other thing that could be causing no third is the governor in the tailshaft is stuck.
If this car was parked for a long time it is common on the 904 for the front clutch piston seal to start cracking....losing third...
Need any advice just holler.
TXDart

Welcome to FABO !!!
About your no third problem,cruise it to about 50 mph and manual shift it in 2nd and back to third,if you feel no difference then you are not getting third.
If you have no third,look a the carburator and will see a rod that goes to the transmission.
Try temporarily disconnecting the linkage at the transmission lever and let the lever come full forward. If it will then shift to 3rd the problem is in the linkage and you just need to adjust it right.
If you still have no third it could be a leaking front piston seal...
Front clutch does 3rd and reverse but in reverse you have more line pressure....
Temporary fix is pour 1/3 rd of pint of brake fluid and it will swell that piston seal and after driving third will come back.
The only other thing that could be causing no third is the governor in the tailshaft is stuck.
If this car was parked for a long time it is common on the 904 for the front clutch piston seal to start cracking....losing third...
Need any advice just holler.
TXDart

me and my dad were going to take it one this week and do something like that

70 mph in a /6 in second gear the engine would be screaming allot of rpm's regardless of what gear you have, borrow or buy a tac, and see what rpm's you are running at 70 mph.
These slant 6 cars love rpm's and if you ar around 3500 rpm I bet your third gear is in and it is soft/early shifting first gear and you can't feel it...

-
Back