New guy needs your opinion.....

-

pgkeating

Reaction score
Guys,

I'm new to the board with a 68 Dart GTS 340 4 spd. Love the car and tearing into it now.

Here's my dilemma:

I have a 65 Buick that a guy wanted to buy (I'm in Boston, he's in Minnesota). He contacted me (via Craigslist) with very thoughtful e-mails about his dad having owned such a car back in the day, blah, blah.

He was contacting a transport company that he's used before....the guy was "building" a trip to the Northeast and he'd get back to me...

He sent me a deposit of $250.00 via PayPal, then followed up with two Postal MO for an additional $1250.00 ($1500.00 total). Postal MOs cleared my account.

So here I sit with $1500.00 of his and he is not answering e-mail or his phone. I certainly don't want to sit on this car and it's really starting to irk me.

What would you guys do as a next step?

Thanks,

Pete

I wouldn't worry much about it.I wouldn't spend his money yet.
It's your car until the title is signed over. If a tree falls on it and you have to refund his money... sht happens. I think he wants it moved as much as you do. Life doesn't cooperate with our wants and plans all the time.

I'm with redfish, he must plan on getting the car or he wouldn't have sent that much money. I'd give him some time to get things back on track again.

How long has it been since you last had contact with him?

When I sold my white notchback to Johnnycuda, I was told that there was an extreme backlog of cars waiting to be shipped......like at least a month or more. Hey, whaddya gonna do?.......I mean, even if you wanted to refund his money, it would probably take you a while to find another buyer, so time is time.

But that is a bit lame, not being able to contact him at all. If it starts getting ridiculous, where you still cannot contact him, just sell the car to someone else, then refund his money. Your ad didn't read "can store car here for an unlimited amount of time", did it?

Red, 74 & Cudavert,

Thanks for the thoughtful input. Er, I don't remember "boasting" free unlimited storage ro any such? LOL

It's just that since it's a convertible (and it needs weather stripping on the pillars), I have it covered with a tarp. So the Dart is in the garage, with this behind it in the driveway, then my daily behind that.

This week I'm taking the Dart down to have my guy do ball joints etc. So I have to move the daily, then remove the tarp, move the Buick (w/o plates) into the street, get the Dart out & reverse the order. Then when I get home, reverse the order yet again!!

See what I'm gettin at? Plus, I hate seeintg the Buick, which I cared for lovingly, sitting out there. The new owner can do as he pleases, but I won't have to be witness to it!

Pete

If the guy won't reply to your emails, maybe he'd reply to an ad in his local Craigslist ??? It might be a way to get his attention... Buick Convertible, out in the rain, needs to be garaged... the ad is free.

I'd try to make one more serious attempt to get his attention. After that, I'd get the car sold, and if you don't get the $1500 for it, take the difference out of his $$ and refund him the rest. Just be nice when you contact him, **** does happen.

Now, have you ever posted pics of your Dart?? I'd like to see it.

Can't hurt to post it CL in Minnesota. It'd be pretty funny for one of his buddies to send him the "link"

GTS340 I did post under Welcome Wagon and members projects.

here's a couple:

Dart1.jpg

Dart3.jpg

Guys,

I'm new to the board with a 68 Dart GTS 340 4 spd. Love the car and tearing into it now.

Here's my dilemma:

I have a 65 Buick that a guy wanted to buy (I'm in Boston, he's in Minnesota). He contacted me (via Craigslist) with very thoughtful e-mails about his dad having owned such a car back in the day, blah, blah.

He was contacting a transport company that he's used before....the guy was "building" a trip to the Northeast and he'd get back to me...

He sent me a deposit of $250.00 via PayPal, then followed up with two Postal MO for an additional $1250.00 ($1500.00 total). Postal MOs cleared my account.

So here I sit with $1500.00 of his and he is not answering e-mail or his phone. I certainly don't want to sit on this car and it's really starting to irk me.

What would you guys do as a next step?

Thanks,

Pete

If it is starting to irk you send him ALL of his money back, and hope you find another buyer.

I thought I read in your post that he was building a trip to the northeast. Maybe he's on the road or somewhere where he can't get messages or something of that nature. I would hate for you to do something that may kill the deal if he truly is not able to respond. The free storage issue is not valid taking into consideration that he may have contacted a shipper and he is on the list but dowm a ways from being next. If he contacted you and said that the shipper would not be able to pick it up for 3 weeks, would you send all his money back because of the storage time? You may hear from him when he is able to respond that the shipper has given him a date of pickup that corresponds with his timeline, but maybe he hasn't gotten that message because he is unable to respond to that too.

There was a 68 Charget R/T car sitting just down the road from my house that I inquired about. The owner told me it was bought by a man from Oklahoma that had been sent to Michigan to work the gas pipeline project. He paid in full and told the owner he would be back. It took him over a year to come and get it because he was on the pipeline project that spanned from Michigan to Missouri and couldn't get back to get it until then. The owner hadn't heard from him in all of that time and when I inquired about it he said he was going to send a letter to the only addrerss he had and if he hadn't heard from him in a month he was going to sell it to me for the same price, keep the money until he heard from the gentleman and give him his money back. Within the month's time the car was picked up.

My point is that you just don't know what is keeping him from contacting you, but he was honest enough to pay up front and obviously wants the car. I know that it is an inconvienience to you to have it there, but even if you refund his money, it is still going to be sitting in your driveway, and maybe for a lot longer than you'd like. I say give him a little more time, I'll bet he responds as soon as he can and the deal is completed. JMO, Geof

-
Back