New Guy to MOPAR world

-

mikess68

Reaction score
hi team. well, ill start right off with a bunch of questions on a restore im getting ready to start. forgive me if some of the questions sound novis, im really good at things, once i know what its suppose to be or look like... here goes:

1972 dart swinger. has factory hood scoops (2). do they have a functional air cleaner for ram air or cold air intake
are they painted body color, black, simi gls, flat, or that texture like on a road runner hood. the hood is black over to the hood pins, how far from the finder does the black start. with the hood scoops, do i still use insulation?

how much difference in appearance is a 318 and 340 other than color.

i have the build sheet, and will get you guys to decode for me when i pick it up next week. it is a high option car, auto, air, ps,ps, disc brakes, delux interior, etc. bench seat without arm rest. ok enough for now, I will be a frequent viewer on way to senior tech! by the time im done. :-D:toothy10:

Welcome, I know if I were looking for that kind of info on my early barracuda I would look online for the wikapedia. Look for your car. You should at least get a picture of what it looks like. But then again there are some real experts on here that I'm sure will chime in real soon.

Welcome mikess68!! As a former bowtie guy for almost 20 yrs I can tell you that once you get bit by the Mopar bug thers no going back! The extra satisfaction I get from working on my 66 fish is beyond any I ever got working on a GM project. Things arent universal from year to year and model to model like others. But I swear its just what makes Mopars so much more fun to build! Im sure you will find answers to all of your questions here because these folks are the most giving and supportive you will find anywhere!! Dont hesitate to ask even what might seem to be a novice question because the bottom line is that the only dumb questions are the ones we dont ask for the answer too. Best of luck with the build and for sure get some pics up when you get a chance!!

Welcome to the site Mike!My experience on this site has been anything but,learning how great the A-bodies crowd is with help from advise,parts,tech and just plain being a listener(reader)!This site is an addictive learning habit!!LOL!Enjoy!(Old Pontiac(GM)guy!Ford employee,Mopar Lifer!)

Hey mikess68...

Welcome! It's good to know that you've been converted from the dark side.

By no means am I an authority, but I think the dual hood scoops were only available on the Dart Swinger in 1970. Well, that's not entirely true... certain 1971 Swingers had the scoops, but that was a very limited production run and they were only available in Canada. The scoops came on various Dusters, Demons, and Dart Sports (I think), but only on the Swinger in 1970 (and 71 - sort of).

Does that give you the feeling that Badawg's comment about things not being universal is 100% true? Welcome to Moparland LOL...

The air cleaner that was used on these cars wasn't exactly a functional ram air setup. There were two holes in the air cleaner housing that are in the general vicinity of the scoop holes, but it's certainly not a direct connection. As for the colour, I think they were a semi-gloss black. Others will correct me if they were wrinkle finish... I'm not sure.

Regarding your engine questions, I could offer up the basic differences, but I'll let the experts explain every minute difference.

-
Back