New headers TTI or Doug

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
I know this question has been asked a million times, but when TTI cost 750 but are still the best fitting header Its hard not to question if its worth paying that much when I can buy a stroker kit. It is between Doug and TTI. TTI has stepped headers and 3in collector, but Doug is not Stepped and 2 or 2 1/2 in collector. I have some summit flowtechs righ now on a high 11 second car, would I be best to go with either of these or stick with what I have? I want the best 1/4 and MPH I can get out of this motor without going stroker or needing to port the heads.

A buddy just got a set for a 440. With a straight edge, on both sides; the rear of 3rd from front shows good air gap.

I would just get a set of Dougs headers. That being said unless your motor is pumping a lot of hp it just isn't worth the extra money (which can be used to pay for gas!)

I switched this winter to TTIs for my 408 stroker. We will know if they are worth the money in a couple of weeks when we test at the track. All i can say now is that they sure make the engine sound sweet!!

Buy what you want to buy. Either fit as long as the engine is in the correct location.

I've seen tti's that you'd think needed the same treatment as those dougs that got bashed... it wasn't the header.

It shows its under Mopar Exhaust forum does it not?

Anyways I doubt very seriously there will ever be a picture of TTIs bashed up. lol

Wanna bet!!!

You'd be surprised what impatient people will do.

To make a decision on which header to buy using that thread as a basis makes you a short bus candidate IMO.

Have fun

Wanna bet!!!

You'd be surprised what impatient people will do.

To make a decision on which header to buy using that thread as a basis makes you a short bus candidate IMO.

Have fun

Cracked we all know you're a Doug header supporter but that doesn't qualify you saying I'm a short bus candidate does it? I mean really dude that's border line name calling.... are you wanting to start a fuss that has already been done over and over? Do you even own a set of Doug headers? If so did you have any problems installing them? Got pics?

I'm just posting the facts and the facts are the Dougs got bashed. And there is reference about the Doug header company employee having their rig miss aligned on the other thread. Another fact. I guess you will find TTIs have made that reference miss aligned rig as well as bashed up TTI headers.

Marland, I think you were taking his post the wrong way and a little personal.

Marland, I think you were taking his post the wrong way and a little personal.

Adam how would you feel if someone said you are a short bus candidate? How could I not take that the wrong way? It's stupid and immature to even insinuate a person to be a short bus candidate. I get sooooo tired of smart az3 remarks.

I can't help it the facts are true... facts are facts man.

Dude, it's not a jab at you. Chill. That thread is on par with knowing an ugly blonde and calling ALL blondes ugly. read it again... and where does it say ANYTHING about you. If you made a decision based on that thread, then maybe... If you want to hold a grudge about that... it's on you. It wasn't directed at you PERIOD!

Yes, I own a few sets of Dougs and also tti headers. I won't ever buy tti again. The ONLY time I've ever had an issue was when the engine was in the wrong place. Once that got solved, everything was smooth. Another member had almost the same issue and the mounts were wrong, on backwards or bad. I've known tti buyers who wanted to tear their hair out because the header was an ill fitting POS, and it wasn't the header, neither was it in the dougs case either. These cars have some pretty generous manufacturing tolerances. One nice thing about tti, they have pertinent measurements in instructions and on the website.

tti are overpriced... period! Anybody wants to pay those price fixed $'s, fine. I'll suffer with a 5-10hp loss using dougs, smack my stuff with a 100 shot of n2o with the header savings and say goodbye to the tti buyer if using the same engine.

Come on yall. been a long day. We're all friends here like sittin around in the shop havin a few cold ones. It's a good discussion. Let's endeavor to keep it goin.

I have a set of Dougs that had no fitment problems once I got the engine sitting correctly. They are a good street header, but I think they hold back anything with over about 475 HP. They are on my stroker, and I'm running 7.17's in the 1/8 consistently, but I'm looking at getting some Hedmans or possibly the new 1 7/8 TTi's, but I'm leaning towards the hedmans. IMO, there won't be enough difference in performance between the Dougs and TTI's to justify the added cost of the TTi's on a street car running high 11's. You're paying close to $200 more for maybe 5 HP. And the Dougs collectors are 3".

wow...after seeing that thread.....i would NOT have bashed in my headers with a hammer....what a hack job...lol...I have dougs on my 318 68 cuda by the way....I agree, TTI are WAY to expensive...although, I admit, I have both dougs for my 318 and TTI for my 408 stroker....

what pisses me off at about TTI is...one of the guys at spring fling, was kinda of an idiot...repeatedly asking what year car i had, and what kind of car, and saying charger after i say barracuda, and again saying challenger after I say barracuda, and yet even again saying duster...and each time getting the year wrong..LOL....

I was looking at getting a 2.5" X-pipe for my car...265 bucks, plus tax, AND shipping cuz they didn't have it on the scene...mighty expensive if you ask me....wont offer free shipping (unlike ALL the other vendors at the show for any given part), no military discount, nothing...one of the other guys was also kind of an ***, like they have the best product...**** em...ill get my x-pipe from somewhere else...

That guy would of had to bash a set of TTI's too to make them fit. If the motor is not in the correct place thats how it goes. I got a set of TTI's but only because I did not know about Dougs at the time. If I did I would of got the Dougs and saved a few bucks.

I hate to admit it burntorange but your right. What none of you are ceasing to realize is that this was my first header install, ever. Obviously I didn't know what to expect and when I ran into my PS snag is when I started that forum. Before I took the hammer to those headers I tried shimming the mounts about an inch on both sides. Tried shifting the motor around.. Tried moving the motor mount brackets from left to right (that only moved the engine/tranny back n forward). So when the rear X-member fell in place I knew I had them right..

Bright side of the story is I truly learned my lesson. Now that I'm getting a brand NEW set of Dougs for $60 restocking fee... I will guarantee ALL of you there will be no hammertime.. LMAO;) Thanks to Marland I just bought the taller motor mounts from Summit. My new game plan is trying to shift the mounts themselves around, not the actual brackets themselves.

My only fear is that the car I'm building is a 73. K-member, motor, tranny all came out of my 72. Dougs say their headers only work up to 72. Do any of you know if that might be the culprit?

Honestly I never realized I'd be talked about so often nor did I know I'd stirr up some TTI/Doug rivalry. Hell if I can get mine to fit I'm happy.

That's cool they will take care of you on the headers for a restocking fee. I sent you some pics of mount orientation via PM.

If you need to shim it, it may only take .125 or so to get it right. Most of the time the shimming is minimal, too much creates other issues.

Look on the tti site and get the measurements for engine location.

You might also loosen up the steering box bolts and move it as far towards the drivers inner as possible. These cars were built with some pretty wide tolerances, an 1/8" here and there and suddenly tou are out quite a bit if they all stack.

The people that make these are wrong about them not fitting 73+ cars... there are more than a few 73-76 SB A bodies with dougs on them.

Marland I just got your PM. Really appreciate you going out of your way to help out. Also good to know these will fit on 73.. thats one more item to check off the list. I'm about to find some pics of this build and some pics of the old 72 Valiant.

-
Back