New Idea for me.. Need some info

-

boosted

Life Needs Air
Reaction score
I know it has most likely been beat to death but what is the most backspace you can run on a stock wheel house 67-69 Barracuda? I thought I read somewhere that someone was running a 295 something... Sorry if there are typo's as I just had a shot in y eye a little while ago..

If I can run a 295 then that is what I will do and just stretch the stock wheel tubs and a spring relocating kit. This way the dana can be cut to stock length.

I know it has most likely been beat to death but what is the most backspace you can run on a stock wheel house 67-69 Barracuda? I thought I read somewhere that someone was running a 295 something... Sorry if there are typo's as I just had a shot in y eye a little while ago..

If I can run a 295 then that is what I will do and just stretch the stock wheel tubs and a spring relocating kit. This way the dana can be cut to stock length.

I`ve got a 3/4" offset kit on my 68. stretched the wheel wells forward to the body. I took my time and it came out very good. the body man had very little to do to make them look factory. have 3" offset, 8" prostars, w/ 275 60 15 drag radials on it. this is with a 1" narrower than stock dana 60 w/ aftermarket disc brakes. s.s. springs on it, and it looks absolutely horrible from the back " weenie tires!" think I can go to a 10.5x29" , maybe 11" , slick at the strip "if I ever get that far!" also have 2 , new, 4" offset (centered) prostars and some 1/2" spacers that I trued up in the lathe, and probly won`t need. going to wait till I install the caltracs to see how much lower it will set. it will look better w/ the small 275`s, I`m hoping. hooking up a 500" motor may be futile ! should have tubbed it when building! hope this helps -----bob :coffee2:

I moved the springs with the 3/4" offset kit, this puts the springs just inboard of the inner face of the wheel well, so the wheelhouse becomes the limiting dimension. IIRC the tub is just over 14 inches on my 68 Barracuda.If you are a streeter you can run as little as 1/2" tire clearance (less with nearly flat, de-arched springs) and not worry about rubbing. So that allows a 13" section. 13inches converts to 330mm.
I can run 325s with enough clearance for straightlining. With a bit of beating the inners in key areas, I am able to corner fairly aggressively before it rubs on the inner.
I do run 295s without worries. They have never rubbed.
I had some vintage 10" al. kidney slots(Ansen Type), that I liked very much. They have a 4.5 inch backspace. If you check catalogs, you will find most 15x10" al wheels come on 4.5bs. So I had the rear narrowed to center the wheels.I figured if I wanted to change wheels at a later date, I was all set.
I cannot recall what I narrowed it to.But I seem to recall it was narrowed as far as possible as the perches were right there. So for me,4.5bs is the only bs that will fit the 325s.The 295s have just over 1" clearance on the outside and a tad less on the inside. So I could run between 4 and 5 inches of bs, with the 295s
The best advice I can offer is to buy the 295s which I know fit in there, and the 10" wheels of your choice with a backspace in the 4.0 to 5.0 range. Then pull the diff out, and roll those babies in there. Center them up, drop the body down to simulate a speed-bump, and recenter.If you get lucky, you might not have to relocate the springs with the offset kit, but if they are in the way, drop them out too.Once they are in and centered, measure between the mounting faces and send your diff out for narrowing, and possibly perch moving. This is not that expensive. If you already have the wheels you like, then it costs less than a lot of new wheels.The real cost is time, or rather downtime.

Downtime for this car is not an issue.. It is apart now... I will start shopping wheels... Would love to see pics of your cars with these tires on them...

Yeah me too on the pics. To me it has never been more than just a car, so I have very few pics of it. A couple with various family members. Of course my son used on grad day, so a few of him,circa 2004. He put his own dents into it, as did I. No biggie. We drove the snot out of it for 125,000miles. 15 summers and 4 or 5 winters too.
If you are into spirited driving, including cornering and sliding, you will need the 295s for sure. Until I put those on back there she was a handful.The back-end was constantly coming around with just a tiny bit too much pedal.275/60s are almost enough for point and nail-it types but for controlled sliding I needed more rubber in the sideways direction. The 295s are more or less enough. I'm talking city streets; with all kinds of surprises in mid turns. And street-tires are only good for 1 or maybe 2 summers before they get hard. 275s can be done in a couple of weeks of hard street driving. Anyways the 295s are pretty good. If I happen to overdrive them on occasion I just pedal the clutch a bit, and the car snaps right out of it. That's saved my rims many times.
Point of story is; since the 295s fit in there, try and get them in there, cuz sooner or later they will save your a$$.

PS if you send the housing out for narrowing, I think it's best to make it a tiny bit too narrow rather than not quite narrow enough. You can always space the rims out with aftermarket spacers, but if it comes back a tad wide,you will be rolling the lips.Of course this assumes you will be putting in longer studs.
Also this is a perfect time to center your housing in the chassis. I have heard that the factory was less than meticulous about getting it centered.

A couple pictures for reference if it helps. This is a 275-60-15" on a 10" X 15", 3-1/2" BS Weld. Stock spring location 8-3/4" axle, stock 10" X 1-3/4" drum brake.

That's 1-3/4" on the tape from spring to sidewall.

Attachments

• WheelBS2.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 130
  • WheelBS1.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 154
Thank you for the pic..I only do the turn thing in my Challenger. This car will be point and go... Looking at that picture I do not see how a 295 would work without minitubbing it. I dont have a problem doing it... I think I may look into a 4 link for it.. I want it down to the rim and say a 325 on it with an aftermarket tub.. I guess do it once and be done with it.

-
Back