New instrument cluster

-

Caberocks

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a replacement instrument cluster that is really nice. Before I consider installing it and replacing the current one, do you guys recommend the RTE solid state replacement limiter? It sounds like a great idea, but was curious if others here have used them.
RTE limiter - rte

There are two types of replacement "electronic" regulators.

The original supplies a regulated "5v" to the sensor and hot-wire gauge series circuits, which respond very slowwwwwly, by pulsing on and off at a duty cycle that feedding 12v on and off equals an average of 5v.
This is why it takes time for the gauges to fall on shutoff, as they follow temperature.
If you buy an "electronic" replacement, there are 2 modes.
Switched on/off timing, as the original, which is a savings in power, but the switching creates a discontinuous current event pulse "static" on weak AM reception, which is why that weird capacitor has to be plugged into the one weird extra wide slot on the Inst cluster.
The other method is a continuous analog 5 volt regulator where a superb stable 5 v goes to the sensor/meter circuit and 7 volts are wasted as heat... BUT only as much current as the meters are using on their 5 v.
Which is virtually nothing.
I did the solid state thing on my 71 Swinger in 1984 because the on-off action STILL created noise on weak FM signals even though Iput ind put multiple bypass capacitors.

These instruments were originally designed to operate on 6 volt systems and that never changed.
The little 12 volt to 5 volt regulator that everyone used ( including myself ) was employed only because there wasn't a similar 12 volt to 6 volt package available. What we used would light up at 4.92 and slowly climb to approx' 5.3 as it heated up but... with 3 instruments drawing on that mere 1.5 amps, they would climb extremely slow and read slightly low ( not as bad in the more common 2 instrument setups ). There are adjustable regulator packages available and affordable today. Those should include wire leads long enough to mount it where its accessible for adjusting in the vehicle though. Therefore I wont state what is the best route.
The main thing you need to know, IF your 3 post fuel gauge does work, and reasonably accurate, you don't need to open it ( "bend the little thingy" ) to disable the mechanical limiter inside. All you need to do is lift it and isolate it from ground. Remove the slither of metal from its back side and replace it with a non conductive slither, or simply cover the general area with a couple layers of electric tape.
If you were to lift your 2 post gauges you would see those were/are isolated from ground ( this applies to every application/example ). Logically defines why a 3 post gauge ( limiter inside ) had to be linked to chassis ground.
Real Time Engineering ? More like Reel Time as in gone fishing in this case? They created a feckin' mess ? Maybe not. Consider the following...
The fuel gauge has worked hard at every switch cycle, for about 50 years. The more fuel onboard, the more heat and subsequent needle movement.
Those who do open the fuel gauge typically find a fat, crunchy, black casement of carbon built up on the winding and the bi metal beam bowed at room temperature. It simply cannot function like new in this condition. This instrument needed renew before reinstall so opening it turned out to be a good move.
I cant testify that this is why a vendor published the "bend the thingy" procedure.
I can testify that I opened 353 of these fuel gauges over a 8 year period. Majority of those ( about 90% ) were fried inside. About 40% of the oil gauges were fried. About 10% of temp gauges were fried too. Shorting a sender wire to ground will fry one just as easy as a faulty mechanical limiter. That happened more often that you might think with the engine mounted senders.
So... heat, age, duty cycles aren't the only factors, just the prominent factors for fuel gauges.
Back to your question and bottom line... Power source change will not be a cure all. Do it all or don't do anything.

Damn, Why did I assume this was a rallye panel ? Oh well. Good luck with whatever you have there.

I made an electronic with the $.89 cent part from radio shack and it worked perfect.
After I didn't need it anymore I wired it up to be a charger and power supply for my touchscreen pad that all my music for the car is stored in.

guageregulator.jpg

I made an electronic with the $.89 cent part from radio shack and it worked perfect.
After I didn't need it anymore I wired it up to be a charger and power supply for my touchscreen pad that all my music for the car is stored in.

View attachment 1714986345

Wish I would have seen this a few months back.

Wish I would have seen this a few months back.

You know, the more time that goes by the more I see newer people going through the exact things some of us went through years ago. :D
Not that you are one of them, but you just must have missed it when it was going around one of the many times.

You know, the more time that goes by the more I see newer people going through the exact things some of us went through years ago. :D
Not that you are one of them, but you just must have missed it when it was going around one of the many times.

Wasn't really looking for it. I bought an aftermarket one for a whole bunch of dollars. Should have researched it. I am doing a 71 Barracuda restomod and don't really care if it is all stock.

Wasn't really looking for it. I bought an aftermarket one for a whole bunch of dollars. Should have researched it. I am doing a 71 Barracuda restomod and don't really care if it is all stock.

Pretty much the same here.
I use what works and what I like, and don't care who made it.

Pretty much the same here.
I use what works and what I like, and don't care who made it.

Just finished modifying my gauge cluster to accept a volt meter in place of the amp meter. Really turned out well. Font is not exactly the same, but I can live with it.

Just finished modifying my gauge cluster to accept a volt meter in place of the amp meter. Really turned out well. Font is not exactly the same, but I can live with it.

I used the OE cluster and just modified it with white aftermarket gauges and LED lighting.
I frequently need to know what time it is on my service calls so I put a white faced orange hands analog clock that matches the gauges where the gas gauge used to go and moved the gas gauge on the dash cluster with the tach and A/F gauge.

dash.jpg

SANY0034.JPG

Here is a picture of the voltmeter I put in my 71 Barracuda gauge cluster. Not a perfect match but I like it.

IMG_3669.JPG

A bit of fluorescent orange flat to repaint the needles and it won't be near as noticeable.
This is what I did on the speedo and clock.

A bit of fluorescent orange flat to repaint the needles and it won't be near as noticeable.
This is what I did on the speedo and clock.

Yep, orange is on the way. I will probably get rid of the blue stripe as well.

I am also trying to decide if I want new decals for the gauge faces. I have a tach kit on the way and I will be ordering a quartz electric clock conversion as well.

Yep, orange is on the way. I will probably get rid of the blue stripe as well.

I am also trying to decide if I want new decals for the gauge faces. I have a tach kit on the way and I will be ordering a quartz electric clock conversion as well.

Nice, also be ready for the orange to be too orange as I had to add some red to match the needles in some of the newer gauges.
The three gauges on the left of my cluster were brand new so the red added to the orange for my speedo and clock made them match.

-
Back