New kid on the block

-

Captainkirk

Old School Mopar Warrior
Reaction score
Hi, all!
I am just beginning a total rebuild on my A-body Duster 340 after it sat in mothballs in my garage for a couple of decades!
Last licensed in 1981, last ran summer of 1986! Man, do I have my work cut out for me!
The engine is out & disassembled, the block, crank and pistons/rods are at the machine shop as we speak.
I'll probably be asking lots of questions.......

Welcome Captainkirk- My car sat since `81 as yours but has been resurrected, thanks to Franklin, Grant, Hamilton, and a lot of people here. You`re in good company!

welcome aboard there Captainkirk! so what year is your duster? i would like to see some pictures as well....good luck with the restoration. there is a wealth of info on here at your fingertips. by the way where are you? you don't have your location in your signature....

Welcome captainkirk. My 73 Duster 340 has been stored since 1992. I've been working on it about a year now and hope to have it back on the street by summer. Good luck with yours and remember we're here for you...just ask.

Welcome to the site. :salut:

pic4.JPG

Thanks for the welcome, all! This seems like a pretty well-frequented site!
My Duster is a '72, the 2nd '72 I've owned. I totalled the first one 3 months after it's restoration & paint (which I did myself) back in '78. (I kept the engine & drivetrain and most of the small parts.) It's one of those things you live with & dream about.....doing it over again. This time I intend to do it 100% and 100% right. The car's not much to look at; it's been wearing primer since '81 and now has no engine in it. I'm in the process of cleaning up the engine bay and going through the engine right now. I have a picture of a picture (if that makes sense) of the first car....I actually took a digital photo of the only photo (in the frame!) that I have left of the first car. It was a Mr. Norm's Grand Spaulding Dodge car and came from Mr. Norm's with TRW 12 1/2:1 pistons, 3.91 posi, 3 speed w/Hurst Indy shifter (which I swapped out for a 4 speed), headers and Thermo-Quad.
My Duster now is an Oklahoma car...no rust!...equipped with a '69 340, 4 speed, 3.91 posi, Carter AVS and the HiPo cast iron exhaust manifolds. I'm going through the car & engine from the ground up.....it took me 25 years to start on it and it'll probably take 25 years to finish it! Well, I hope not, I'll be too old to drive it. Anyway, appreciate the responses and thanks in advance for all the info I'm gonna weasel out of all of you!
Question #1: Induction. My current setup is a Holley 650 double-pumper on an Edelbrock Torker 340 manifold. Any thoughts regarding this setup vs. the Six Pack setup? I also notice, for some reason there are no low-profile dual quad manifold setups for this motor, though you can get one for any other smallblock. Is this because there is no demand, or because the motor doesnt respond well to dual-quad setups?
BTW- my location is North of Chicago, just below the WI border.

-
Back