new leafs pinion angle question

-

Darren

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hey guys am i correct by thinking replacing my old sagging leaf springs with new springs change my pinion angle? Thanks

Yes and most likely for the better.

well how about if he goes the extra mile and puts on the SUPER STOCK leafs and drag shocks - show he be worried about the pinion angel then?

because of a even higher ride height...

Possibly. That's why Mopar makes pinion shims.

well how about if he goes the extra mile and puts on the SUPER STOCK leafs and drag shocks - show he be worried about the pinion angel then?

because of a even higher ride height...

I've been running super stock rear leafs on my a-bodies on the street for decades and hundreds of thousands of miles.... Never had a problem....

My original springs( 68 formula S 4 speed) are sagged. And my pinion on the rear was up 1 deg. So before I start shimming the rear I want to replace the rear springs with MP XHD springs. My last Dart I put new SS MP springs and I found the rear too stiff. So I am hopping I will be happy with the XHD springs. Thanks

XHD (Extra Heavy Duty) might be too stiff also. You may need to call ESPO and tell them what you need.

I was thinking that also but then i read that Mopar stats the XHD are stock replacements for 340 and 383 a body cars. Maybe others will chime in who are using these springs.

I just put a pair of custom "Springs-n-Things" rear leaf springs on another member's 71 Dart today.

We had a few issues to work out while installing them, but in the end we got-r-dun and it say up real nice.

It did have a nice ride, but we just went for a short ride.

I'm a super stock spring guy, I did try the xhd springs, but didn't like them as much as the ss...

But if you want a softer ride, maybe try the springs-n-things route. However, I would buy my shackles from Mancini. The springs-n-things shackles have longer bushings that are wider than the stock ones and I wasn't comfortable using them. Luckily I had a spare set of bushings from a previous job and we used those with the springs-n-things leafs and u-bolts.

Their bushings have more interference designed into them which concerned me...

That is correct. The XHD springs are the stock 340 replacement springs.

Well I got new XHD leafs on and the pinion angle changed slightly.. the car came up in the rear about 2.5".
Now my question is my tail of tranny is 1 deg pointing down and my pinion on rear yoke is 1 deg pointing up. I was hopping for my downward deg with new leafsprings.
So to achieve correct pinion angle should I shim the rear or cut off perches and adjust then reweld? The car is a 68 Cuda 383 4 speed. And I am having clutch chatter from dead stop. And recently I shimmed the rear and it made a big difference in the chatter. So I would like to get the proper pinion angle and hope the chatter is gone completely. . Thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-09-23-20-58-07.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 135
-
Back