New look for my Barracuda

-
Hey DR, I specced out and ordered a pair of 225/60R15s per the other thread we were talking about for those 15x7 fifth ave steelies. Gonna see how they fit. Shouldn't have a clearance problem with these. Will post some pix when I mount em and mock em up.

Hey DR, I specced out and ordered a pair of 225/60R15s per the other thread we were talking about for those 15x7 fifth ave steelies. Gonna see how they fit. Shouldn't have a clearance problem with these. Will post some pix when I mount em and mock em up.
Matt: They will fit nicely and you will like them. I think I got my tires a little big on the rally's but when I do the steelies I will do 225 front and 255 rear. I chose the large rear tires to keep my RPM at 2400 at 70 MPH. Wont matter with the steelies, I'll just be posing with those:)

I was also looking at 255s for the rear as well. With the 3.73s, a 27" tire, and an A500 in O/D, the car should turn about 2400 rpm @ 75 mph.

Heres a question though. Will be running a clutch type limited slip. My spare tire that barely fits the well is 25.5" diameter. Lincoln town car spare on an aluminum rim. Will I run into a problem quickly wiping out the clutches if I have to use that spare on the back of the car since with it bolted on I will have 2 tires turning at different rotational speeds. That would be my only reasoning behind staying with a 225/60 at all 4 corners since that is a 25.5" diameter tire and will match the spare diameter wise. Nobody thinks about that ****. But real world situation, you dont want to be stuck with an unusable spare and a flat rear tire.

With 225s all around and my gearing I am looking at close to 2600 RPM @75 mph

I was also looking at 255s for the rear as well. With the 3.73s, a 27" tire, and an A500 in O/D, the car should turn about 2400 rpm @ 75 mph.

Heres a question though. Will be running a clutch type limited slip. My spare tire that barely fits the well is 25.5" diameter. Lincoln town car spare on an aluminum rim. Will I run into a problem quickly wiping out the clutches if I have to use that spare on the back of the car since with it bolted on I will have 2 tires turning at different rotational speeds. That would be my only reasoning behind staying with a 225/60 at all 4 corners since that is a 25.5" diameter tire and will match the spare diameter wise. Nobody thinks about that ****. But real world situation, you dont want to be stuck with an unusable spare and a flat rear tire.

With 225s all around and my gearing I am looking at close to 2600 RPM @75 mph
Yes, I have the same issue with my spare and shur-grip. Take this for what its worth but my understanding is that we can run for a small amount of time with the mismatched tires on the back. I don't think five miles to a curb will tear up the shur-grip but that is my understanding. I am not changing my rear tire size because of that issue. Bigger brains on the site may be able to clarify for us both:)

If the 225 60s will give it an aggressive enough stance, I may just go that route all around. I mean if travelling distance and getting a flat in the rear, you may not have that luxury of puttering along for only 5 miles to get to a tire place to get it repaired. I am willing to give up a 100 RPM savings to not have diff issues with rear wheels and spare not sized the same.

That is the setup on my kids car 69 notchback with a 318 My 67 is going to be a bit different setup. 408, OD 4 Speed manual, 3.73s I will turn 2700 RPM at 75 mph with 225s on the back. Thinking 255s on the rear on my 67 to drop my freeway RPM to 2500. Carry fix a flat and plugs, plus the 25.5" spare just in case.

That is the setup on my kids car 69 notchback with a 318 My 67 is going to be a bit different setup. 408, OD 4 Speed manual, 3.73s I will turn 2700 RPM at 75 mph with 225s on the back. Thinking 255s on the rear on my 67 to drop my freeway RPM to 2500. Carry fix a flat and plugs, plus the 25.5" spare just in case.

Morning guys, wanted to share part of a reply on a Dodge Intrepid forum that I found as I was searching for other possible later model Mopars that might have temporary spares that would also fit the Barracuda spare tire well and match up with 225's or 255's. I realize the Intrepid is a 16" rim vs. the 15" and FWD vs RWD, but I was looking more at overall diameter. You'll see there are some possibles (though not as good as Matt's 02 Lincoln Town Car spare), and I know that at the recyclers around here (we don't have "junkyards", which I miss) usually have a good selection of Intrepids, Concords, etc. Just something to consider and research if anybody is looking for other candidates for spare tire donors:

"I have a 2000 Intrepid. The OEM spare tire is T135/80D16--its *calculated* outside diameter is 24.5 inches (622 mm), and I measured the actual outside diameter to be almost that when properly inflated to 60 psi (414 kPa). The OEM standard driving tire is 225/60R16 with a *calculated* outside diameter of 26.6 inches (676 mm); however, I measured the actual outside diameter to be about 1/2 an inch (12.7 mm) shorter, just 26 inches (660 mm) when properly inflated to 32 psi (220 kPa). (This particular tire of mine has been driven about 15,000 out of 90,000 rated miles = only worn 1/6th of the original tread...which may account for some, but I don't think all, of the discrepancy.) Surprisingly, this means that the OEM spare rides about 1.5 to 2 inches (38.1 to 50.8 mm) lower than the OEM standard tire! I'm not so keen on such a big difference! After the first flat tire I had with my Intrepid, I promptly bought a salvage wheel and tire to create my own full-size, conventional spare tire.

If you want a donut spare that more closely matches the *diameter* of the Intrepid's standard tire, then obtain/buy the donut spare of a Dodge Caravan or Grand Caravan with size T145/90D16 which has a calculated diameter of 26.3 inches (668 mm), very close to the Intrepid (only 1.3% smaller) and it has the same, matching wheel bore/hub size.

The second place I would look is to obtain/buy the donut spare of a 2007-2011 Dodge Avenger or '07-'10 Caliber (T155/90D16), which has a very closely matching calculated diameter of 27.0 inches (685 mm). NOTE: The Avenger/Caliber's wheel bore is smaller than for the Intrepid (67.1 versus 75.1 mm--not readily noticeable to the eye)--so before buying and going with an Avenger/Caliber's donut spare, measure the donut's wheel bore, because **my recommendation to use it could be misguided based on wheel bores.** However, my hunch is they use the same donut wheel bore for both, to economize--but be sure first. I don't know why car manufacturer's allow and promote use of spare tires that have diameters different from that of the standard tire size.

If you really want, you can even use the donut spare of a Charger/Magnum/Challenger, T135/90D17, which has a calculated outside diameter of 26.6 inches, the closest matching calculated diameter of these three (less than 1/4 of 1% different), even though the wheel/rim is 1 inch taller. This spare also has the same center bore of 71.5 mm, which means and makes the main load rest on the hub and not the lug studs. However, this spare's lugs and lug holes are 14 mm diameter, rather than 12 mm for the Intrepid and the lugs are spaced 0.35 mm farther outward from the center (5x115 mm versus 5x4.5 in/5x114.3 mm lug pattern). In other words, your Intrepid lug nuts would not seat *precisely* into the lug holes of this spare--and in torquing them, you *may very slightly* bend your lug studs outward or otherwise off center (again, not more than 0.35 mm).

I have heard no stories of anyone interchanging a 5x115 lug pattern wheel with a 5x114.3 having their lug studs sheer off and wheel fall off the car while driving, causing a wreck or permanent damage. Your lug nuts also could get a little scuffed when torqued down or possibly slightly distorted on their necks. The 5x115<-->5x114.3 interchange is commonly done--and frankly, the larger 14 mm Charger lug hole diameter partly compensates for the imperfection of this interchange *and* the matching center bore keeps the wheel properly aligned = I would think very minimal total risks. And you're not supposed to drive over 50 mph (~80 kph) on your spare, anyway = further minimizing risks of an imperfect interchange. The imperfections introduce changes in lug nut and stud positions of less than 4% for 14 mm lug holes drilled to 18 mm (4.5% for 12 mm lug holes drilled to 16 mm--which is the measure from my Intrepid's donut spare). Such interchanges are done routinely by owners of performance, racing, and show cars.

Lastly, two cars I did not find examples of their spare tire sizes but which otherwise match the Intrepid, are the Dodge Nitro and the Prowler (all makes). So you could check those too."

Don't know if that helps any, but thought that 225/60's came on my Intrepid and wondered if they would match up.

My Barracuda has late model rally wheels but I have seen photos of members cars with body color wheels and caps. The top photo is of my barracuda as it is now. The bottom photo is what it will look like if I change it. (I bought the Valiant caps from RPMgoo yesterday) Shout out to DDaddy for the graphic help!
View attachment 1715388036 View attachment 1715388037
I like that look thinking about going that route on my 70 duster when I'm not at the track looking at 15 by sevens for the front trying to figure out the proper backspacing

Rallys for me. I know a lot of car people like the steelies, but the rest of the world thinks you couldn't afford rims..

Rallys for me. I know a lot of car people like the steelies, but the rest of the world thinks you couldn't afford rims..

that's because they are chevy/ford people and have no idea what a nice set of 5.5 steelies and polished dog dishes with red lines cost:thumbsup:

I was surprised to see this resurface. I have made the decision to get the steelies that were suggested. I have to go to a large wrecking yard to find what I want and I have been working on the car all winter. So far I have rebuilt the front suspension, installed my rear sway bar, R & R & painted my exhaust manifolds and ordered a passenger mirror and exhaust tips. I am now in the process of fabricating a new console gauge cluster for four 2" gauges to replace the hack job I did 3 years ago. That will be cool, I have some upholstery material left from my rear seat mod and I will wrap the fabricated console addition with that. I am weighing which comes first. The steel wheel conversion or the dual exhaust conversion. They will be about the same cost so I am deciding on what will be best for the car and I am probably going to rework the rear roll panel for the 4 X 2 SS oval exhaust tips and take it to the exhaust shop to be dueled off before I do the wheel change. I am also considering painting on some striping when it rolls out and the weather is warm enough. DR out:)

-
Back