New Member - 1968 Dart

-

68Dart500

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I've lurked on here without signing up for awhile but decided I would finally join and introduce myself. My name's Dan and I've got a 1968 Dodge Dart GT. I live in Somerset WI currently.

A little more about the car as that's probably what most people are interested in.

68 Dart GT originally with a 273 auto w/black bucket seats and console. White exterior w/a black vinyl top and the beltline aluminum trim. Spent all of its life in New Mexico until 2000 when the original owner sold it to a guy in PA. Guy in PA owned it until this summer (2017) when I purchased it and brought it back to WI.

The car came w/a 68 318 installed. Both build sheets, original certicard, and pre-delivery inspection checklist from the dealership.

In 2000 it was repainted and the beltline aluminum trim was removed (thankfully)! They also switched out the interior with a red 67 Dart GT interior for some reason.

Currently I just started tearing the car apart so I could do a USCT mini tub and spring relocation to it. I also purchased a complete 4-speed set up w/APT hydromax hydraulic clutch kit, an 8 3/4 w/Auburn pro limited slip 489 case w/3.55's. Also purchased a 500ci stroker 440 w/Edelbrock heads from a friend.

The plan this winter is to convert it to a 4-speed, mini tub, spring relocation install, have the top painted (I just removed the vinyl top as I saw some bubbles and am sanding it down so my body guy can paint the top black), and install the 8 3/4 along with some 325/50R15's MT ET's with modified 15x10 steel dog dish rims.

I'd love to install the 500ci stroker this winter too but I'm waiting until next winter because I've used up my budget on everything so far and when I put the stroker motor in I want to upgrade to disc brakes and heavier suspension in the front etc.

Here's how she looked when I picked her up this summer.
s-l1600.jpg
s-l1601.jpg
s-l1602.jpg
s-l1603.jpg
s-l1605.jpg
s-l1606.JPG
s-l1607.jpg

Nice looking car.
500 c. i and a 4 speed ?
That will be a handfull!

Welcome -- From Pa. -- Nice Dart -- mbaird is correct. A 500 inch will be a handfull. I had a 68 Dart with a 500 in it.

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah I love my 4 speeds! Never had one with traction so this should be fun :). My last Dart was a 69 Swinger 340 4 speed. Had 436 hp and that was fun with only 255/60r15 street tires on the back. Burnouts in 1st through 3rd!

Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah I love my 4 speeds! Never had one with traction so this should be fun :). My last Dart was a 69 Swinger 340 4 speed. Had 436 hp and that was fun with only 255/60r15 street tires on the back. Burnouts in 1st through 3rd!
nice car !

Welcome from Kansas! Not usually a red fan on darts but man that’s a good looking car! Keep us posted!

Jason

Welcome to FABO, what a beautiful car!
Sounds like you have some great plans for it, i can't wait to see the progress........
Maybe start a build thread here so we all can enjoy!
How about some more info on yourself now that we got the car out of the way?

Welcome to FABO, what a beautiful car!
Sounds like you have some great plans for it, i can't wait to see the progress........
Maybe start a build thread here so we all can enjoy!
How about some more info on yourself now that we got the car out of the way?

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

That's a good idea, I'll have to get a build thread going soon.

As for me, I'm 31 and a Mopar guy through and through! I own a business that rebuilds turbos and sells parts for them. For a long time I was really into the Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth's and building/upgrading turbos for them. Built some custom turbos that made 900 AWHP on a 3.5L V6 Stealth.

I liked the Stealth's and turbos but old muscle cars were always the most fun. I bought my first Mopar before I even had a license. It was a 71 Duster w/the hillside Hemi ;). Stripped it down to the bare shell and had it media blasted. Bought everything to convert it to a V8 but before finishing ran across a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4-speed car that was numbers matching so I sold the Duster and bought the Dart. After the Dart I bought a 1970 Cuda w/a 383 auto and stripped it down to the bare shell and had it media blasted too (starting to see a pattern here lol). After having all the rust repair done I bought a shaker hood setup for it and a 4-speed to convert it (another pattern developing) but a new house and other things got in the way so I ended up selling it as a project. Went a few years without an old car and drove a Chrysler 300C SRT8 but I missed the old cars so I sold the SRT8 and bought this 68 Dart that I've got now.

Thanks again for the warm welcome everyone!

That's a good idea, I'll have to get a build thread going soon.

As for me, I'm 31 and a Mopar guy through and through! I own a business that rebuilds turbos and sells parts for them. For a long time I was really into the Twin Turbo Dodge Stealth's and building/upgrading turbos for them. Built some custom turbos that made 900 AWHP on a 3.5L V6 Stealth.

I liked the Stealth's and turbos but old muscle cars were always the most fun. I bought my first Mopar before I even had a license. It was a 71 Duster w/the hillside Hemi ;). Stripped it down to the bare shell and had it media blasted. Bought everything to convert it to a V8 but before finishing ran across a 1969 Dodge Dart Swinger 340 4-speed car that was numbers matching so I sold the Duster and bought the Dart. After the Dart I bought a 1970 Cuda w/a 383 auto and stripped it down to the bare shell and had it media blasted too (starting to see a pattern here lol). After having all the rust repair done I bought a shaker hood setup for it and a 4-speed to convert it (another pattern developing) but a new house and other things got in the way so I ended up selling it as a project. Went a few years without an old car and drove a Chrysler 300C SRT8 but I missed the old cars so I sold the SRT8 and bought this 68 Dart that I've got now.
Now we know the rest of the story!
Thanks!

-
Back