New member: Florida 1970 Plymouth Duster 340

-
Hello members...
I just sold my 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6 and found this to replace it. I've been on the for B bodies only forum for about the past 3 years. I am now forced to change forums!
This is a rotisserie resto with new everything, top to bottom. These are sellers pics. I probably won't have the car in my hands for another week or two.
Triple black, 4 speed, 3.91 rear, power steering, bucket seats.

duster340_zpscq4trswl.jpg

duster340_2_zps72jqhxnu.jpg

duster340_4_zpsfrdhslfi.jpg

duster340_motor_zpsl4wbxgch.jpg
Spectacular. I am also 69 and live just south of Tampa. I want to do what you did as well.

I currently own a matching numbers 67 4-speed hemi GTX and want to find and trade for a 340 or 383 4-speed. I am looking at 68 and 69 Dart Swingers and GTS cars. I have found two:

1968 Dodge Dart GTS For Sale | Collector and Classic Cars For Sale | RK Motors Charlotte - not keen on this shade of green; price is high (usual for RK) - anyone know this car?

Dodge: Dart GTS 340 4 speed - nice car from Eric in MN. Price seems reasonable; has a Hurst 4-speed emblem over left rear wheel (weird). Anyone know this car?

Any suggestions on how to be successful in this process would be welcomed. Here is my GTX:

Shutterfly

I am flexible on the pricing. And, while a trade is ideal (I want to avoid paying sales tax), I am flexible but, the GTX would have to be sold first. My garage cannot take another car.

If there is somewhere else on this forum, I should post this, please let me know.

Nice GTX!

If you are looking for a (nearly) perfectly restored collector car that you will never want to modify one bit, then the RK car is the one for you, although it is a really high price.

The one on Ebay seems too high priced too. Not many pictures, emblems on the front fenders don't belong there, and you're right the Hurst emblem is screwy. I'd also expect the A/C to be installed and working for that kind of cash!

There are always nice Darts listed in Hemmings Motor News, and CarsOnLine.com is another good place to look. I found mine in Hemmings, but it did take about 3 years to find the one I really wanted.

Nice GTX!

If you are looking for a (nearly) perfectly restored collector car that you will never want to modify one bit, then the RK car is the one for you, although it is a really high price.

The one on Ebay seems too high priced too. Not many pictures, emblems on the front fenders don't belong there, and you're right the Hurst emblem is screwy. I'd also expect the A/C to be installed and working for that kind of cash!

There are always nice Darts listed in Hemmings Motor News, and CarsOnLine.com is another good place to look. I found mine in Hemmings, but it did take about 3 years to find the one I really wanted.

Thanks for the excellent advice. I expect to be looking for a while.

New to A-Body's as well. I'm in Fort myers. That car is a real beauty. Hit me up if you plan to show it locally. I would love to see it in person. Frank

Hello members...
I just sold my 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner 440+6 and found this to replace it. I've been on the for B bodies only forum for about the past 3 years. I am now forced to change forums!
This is a rotisserie resto with new everything, top to bottom. These are sellers pics. I probably won't have the car in my hands for another week or two.
Triple black, 4 speed, 3.91 rear, power steering, bucket seats.

duster340_zpscq4trswl.jpg

duster340_2_zps72jqhxnu.jpg

duster340_4_zpsfrdhslfi.jpg

duster340_motor_zpsl4wbxgch.jpg

Welcome, My first and true Mopar love was a1970 triple red 340 4speed bench seat Duster. Oh yeah, we are neighbors. I live in Plant City Fl.

Several local car shows , Plant city is 3rd sat of every month. Dover Rod Run twice a year,Gator Ford once a year. Carlisle swap meet/car show twice a year. Garlits car show/swap meet first weekend in November and many more.

Spectacular. I am also 69 and live just south of Tampa. I want to do what you did as well.

I currently own a matching numbers 67 4-speed hemi GTX and want to find and trade for a 340 or 383 4-speed. I am looking at 68 and 69 Dart Swingers and GTS cars. I have found two:
Hi Bob... I found a '69 Dart "M" code (440) from factory, all matching numbers for sale and the seller and I couldn't come to an agreement on price.
They only produced 640 of them in '69, all torqueflites with a console and bucket seats. It is green, as so many of them were back then.
The hardest part, at least for me, was to first sell my car. I placed an ad on B body forum (no interest there), Craigslist (a tiny bit of interest), Carsonline.com (tiny interest), and then on good old ebay, where I found a buyer. You can look at my ebay ad here: Plymouth: Road Runner 440 six barrel
I also looked at the Dart with the Hurst emblem on it and it really turned me off... why??

New to A-Body's as well. I'm in Fort myers. That car is a real beauty. Hit me up if you plan to show it locally. I would love to see it in person. Frank
Sorry Frank, but I'm in Fort Lauderdale and only go to shows in my general area.

Hi Bob... I found a '69 Dart "M" code (440) from factory, all matching numbers for sale and the seller and I couldn't come to an agreement on price.
They only produced 640 of them in '69, all torqueflites with a console and bucket seats. It is green, as so many of them were back then.
The hardest part, at least for me, was to first sell my car. I placed an ad on B body forum (no interest there), Craigslist (a tiny bit of interest), Carsonline.com (tiny interest), and then on good old ebay, where I found a buyer. You can look at my ebay ad here: Plymouth: Road Runner 440 six barrel
I also looked at the Dart with the Hurst emblem on it and it really turned me off... why??
The emblem can be removed, but, I have to wonder what it is hiding based on the location. Your 70 Runner is a beaut.

The emblem can be removed, but, I have to wonder what it is hiding based on the location. Your 70 Runner is a beaut.
I made a big mistake buying that RR... it has spoiled me and I have since lost interest in buying any car that is not a rotisserie resto, or very close, and that's expen$ive.
That was the nicest condition collector car I ever bought.
The reason I bought the RR was because I was looking for a '70 GTX similar to the one I bought new in '69, also B5, 4 speed, air grabber, etc.
I couldn't find a GTX but this one was so close, I decided to buy it. This is me with my GTX...

my70_gtx_zps0e0c9bfe.jpg

Yes, those are snow tires you see. The GTX was my daily driver, no matter what the weather... imagine??

gtx2_zpsdccffe24.jpg

Nice story, Alan and nice GTX. I also have been spoiled by really nice cars and won't settle for anything less than a "2".

Last edited:

I spoke to Eric about this car today. We did not discuss the strange location of the emblem. He sold the car yesterday so now it is not in the running.

So, I am still looking and still selling my 67 hemi GTX.

I spoke to Eric about this car today. We did not discuss the strange location of the emblem. He sold the car yesterday so now it is not in the running.

So, I am still looking and still selling my 67 hemi GTX.
That car is still listed on ebay. I doesn't look like it was sold.
Negatives for me: factory steering wheel (no tuff wheel), and that bench seat. And of course the Hurst emblem. You do know the decal on the hood is incorrect for a '70?

That car is still listed on ebay. I doesn't look like it was sold.
Negatives for me: factory steering wheel (no tuff wheel), and that bench seat. And of course the Hurst emblem. You do know the decal on the hood is incorrect for a '70?

Alan, I am now confused. Eric's car is a 69 with buckets. And, it is marked sold on his website:

Muscle Mopars - Cars For Sale

Are we talking about the same car?

Nice score on the Duster! Welcome to the site! Had a brand new Duster 340 in '70 (loved it) but now I have a '67 383 Dart. Would like a Duster again some day, it would go 138 with a 3.23 diff and E70-14's. Crazy. Just Plum Crazy

Welcome to the forum and a very cool Duster!

My entry to the Mopar world was also a H-code Duster nearly 30 ys ago.
And I still own it....H-code Dusters (and Demons) are maybe the best roadworthy muscle-car-performance package you can get.
They are at home in the city traffic as well as on 'Autobahn' or backroads or on the strip.

Very interesting is Your canopy-style vinyl top.
Are You sure this was an original option on Your car?

I think to remember the first canopy-style tops for model year 1972; in a brochure about the new entry Gold Duster, it was marketed as a then new feature:

GoldDuster2[1].jpg

I believe the seller I bought it from liked the style, so he added it. I also don't think it was an option in '70.
No code for it on fender tag.

-
Back