new member in need of mufflers

-

L1beige340

Reaction score
Hello everyone-Nice to be a new member. My wife and I are proud owners of an original '69 dart swinger 340 L1 beige and black stripe. We've owned it since '76 and did a total resto. in 2002. We drove it as much a possible, but that probably was'nt enough, because the mufflers rusted away and have blown out so bad its too loud to drive. I decided to use Flowmasters when we did the resto, and that was a big mistake. They were way too loud and I never did like the sound. After reading through the threads on "exhaust systems" I've decided to replace the Loudmasters with Dynomax super turbos. I would like to use the 20" case length units, but I read a remark about "they will work, but need some modification". What exactly are the modfications needed?? Thanks Bob & Cindy Richmond

Too loud to drive??? I didn't know there was such a thing. :-D

Santa brought me a Summit exhaust setup and a couple Thrush welded mufflers that are supposed to have "that classic muscle car sound." We'll see.

Rest easy L1, aside from a couple early smart-azz replies (love ya MVR! :-D) you'll have plenty of others to chime in on the Dynomaxes; I know there's a bunch of members who went with them.

Hello everyone-Nice to be a new member. My wife and I are proud owners of an original '69 dart swinger 340 L1 beige and black stripe. We've owned it since '76 and did a total resto. in 2002. We drove it as much a possible, but that probably was'nt enough, because the mufflers rusted away and have blown out so bad its too loud to drive. I decided to use Flowmasters when we did the resto, and that was a big mistake. They were way too loud and I never did like the sound. After reading through the threads on "exhaust systems" I've decided to replace the Loudmasters with Dynomax super turbos. I would like to use the 20" case length units, but I read a remark about "they will work, but need some modification". What exactly are the modfications needed?? Thanks Bob & Cindy Richmond

The 20" are longer. IIRC, 14" is original. I got those from Accurate LTD from Tom at a Spring Fling. I believe with that additional length the over the axle bent has to start real fast at the exit of the muffler. So there might not be room for a slip fit area, just the over the axle section welded to the rear of the muffler.

My 14" mufflers with 2 1/4 stainless tips sound fairly quiet with mild above stock cam in my 68 Dart. Worlds diffrerent than Flowmasters.

Hope you get your Dart back on the road and start re-enjoying it. And hope to see your Dart and you at next Spring Fling.

Santa brought me a Summit exhaust setup and a couple Thrush welded mufflers that are supposed to have "that classic muscle car sound." We'll see.
I put "Thrush Welded" on my 67 Fish Vert... Its still too loud.. Wifey hates it. I need quieter ones... Good luck with yours.

I used the Summit kit and their mufflers. Sounds great at idle and when you get on it, but it resonates so bad at 1600 - 1900 rpm it could rattle the fillings out of your teeth.

An H pipe is next on the list, but if that does not cure the noise, I'm thinkng of new mufflers or using glasspacks as resonators welded in right before the chrome tips.

I put "Thrush Welded" on my 67 Fish Vert... Its still too loud.. Wifey hates it. I need quieter ones... Good luck with yours.

What motor's in your vert?

I still like it loud and love the rumble ... lucky for me I don't have a wife. :-D

:toothy10::cheers:Could you redo that post in all UPPER case I couldn't here it over my floes:cheers::cheers:

Dynomax super turbo are good. Old Walker stock hemi mufflers were great, Walker still in business?

-
Back