New NSS - No back up lights

-

demon322

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Wasn’t sure whether to post this here or electrical -

727. Everything was working fine other than the neutral safety switch plug would often wiggle loose and cause the car not to start. I looked at the switch and I’m not sure how to describe it other than inside the circle part where the 3 pins are is hollow which I assumed might be causing my connection problem. I purchased a replacement from AZ (CR401) which has a solid end where the pins are. The plug fits much more snug now.

With the new switch all functions seem to be working (starts in park or neutral, won’t in Reverse or in gear) but I now have no back up lights.

Any idea what might be causing this?

Thanks.

Can plug be installed backwards?
Check the backups with a jumper to verify they work. Unless you saw them working just before switch replacement.

Sorry I wasn’t clear about that. The reverse lights were working fine before I swapped switches.

So I should rotate the plug and try again?

Cant hurt, but if i recall switch is Ambidextrous.
Two outside pins for one function,inside does the other.

That’s kinda what I was thinking but I wasn’t sure.

Could that mean the new switch (or at least the reverse light part of it) could be bad?

That’s kinda what I was thinking but I wasn’t sure.

Could that mean the new switch (or at least the reverse light part of it) could be bad?

Yep.
And yes the two outer pins are just a pass through connection and the center pin is neutral safety.
That means even if the pins were not off center so you can't flip it around it would work exactly the same anyway.

I see. That makes sense. I will pick up another new switch and see if that fixes my problem

I see. That makes sense. I will pick up another new switch and see if that fixes my problem
Prove it is the switch first,by jumping the two outside terminals on the connector. Or ohmmeter across the switch while in reverse.

There have been a lot of threads here related to that switch. Homemade spacers added, etc...
I don't know why the aftermarket switches don't work right in every application. Good luck with it.

Prove it is the switch first,by jumping the two outside terminals on the connector. Or ohmmeter across the switch while in reverse.
Jumping the terminals on the connector the reverse lights come on.

The switch doesn’t change on the ohmmeter when in reverse. I will try a new switch.

There have been a lot of threads here related to that switch. Homemade spacers added, etc...
I don't know why the aftermarket switches don't work right in every application. Good luck with it.
Thanks. I will try a different vendor this time.

After looking other places for a replacement switch, I have determined I have the “short” switch. Some places I read they are interchangeable. If this is true I will try another “long” switch as it fits the harness plug so much more snug. Hopefully that will fix the issue. The second picture shows the hollow center of the short switch which I feel was what was causing the plug to shake loose rather easily.

F0B43774-E5B3-4CBA-A02B-9EC77E99F436.gif

AECCAB54-4517-451E-91C9-72D82D62A980.jpeg

I think you are on the right path.
I had trouble with my connector coming loose,i warmed up the connector to soften it a little and pushed it back on, never had trouble with it since.

Update. I got another switch (from rock auto this time.) It was the 'long' style. This one works with no issues. I have reverse lights again! I guess the autozone switch was just bad out of the box. Thanks all for your help.

-
Back