New oils with less ZDDP.

-

Billbo

Reaction score
Hi all:
Can anyone shed some light on this?
They say that the new oils with a higher spec API rating of SL and SM have been modified to have less ZDDP which is very good anti wear additive for metal to metal rubing surfaces such as cam lobes and lifters. Since I still run dinasaur valve train (and most of all others do too) I require that additive in the oil. I have read some info on the net about reduced amounts of ZDDP have been introduced so to cut emissions and stop catatytic poisoning. If this is true, What oil would be best for these old small block v8's. I always thought the latest is the greatest when it came to oils. Any one with direction about this?
Billy D...

The last couple of years, the zink packages have been scaled back, because it hurts emmissions. That's in gasoline powered engines. The secret is, it's not the case for deisels. The fleet type oils are still keeping the zink in them. Also, they tend to be much cleaner in terms of internal gunk..So, run deisel rated oils, or add a can of GM (i know..but they have it and mpar doesnt..lol) Engine Oil Supplement with each oil change. Todays faster rate cams and stiffer springs are battering the lifters even harder than normal, and they cut back what keeps them alive.

I agree Moper about the stiffer springs and sharp cam lobes etc. Now for a mild 360 with a comp cams xe274, what oil would you suggest for this engine. I live in a relatively hot climate "down under". Do you sinserely recomend diesel oil?
Would there be any other side effects from using this type of oil?
Regards
Billy D...

If I remember correctly, we were playing around with the ZDDP at work, and without it the dang oil turned solid. I mean SOLID. It was hell trying to clean that mess up, and eventually I would have to just chuck the whole block.
Hehehe we were also running the oil at over 300deg f and with the engine running quite a while over 4000 rpm. It would always shut down on low oil pressure, and smell horrible.
We were working on a fuel additive that would work it's way into the crankcase.
Man I miss my job

I have no clue what Austrailia does for emmision..so I cant really answer you. If they follow US lead, then yes, I'd run either the EOS or deisel oil. There is no down side to it in an older vehicle.

In Australia we are right up there with the U.S. when it comes to emissions. We are well into the "SM" grade oils all round. What is EOS oils? What oils do you use in your engines?
Regards
Billy D...

General Motors product... (E)ngine (O)il (S)upplement. You can buy it at any dealer here..I'd think there too. 1 can per oil change will do it. I run either Car Quest (valvoline) 20-50, or Castrol Syntec of various weights. In fresh engines. I'll run deisel grade oils..(fleet 15-40). Once enough miles get on it, I run full synthetic.

Most every premium oil I have every run across has both gasoline and diesel engine ratings on it. So, I would think that you would be prety much getting the same stuff if you purchased oil marketed for gas engines that has the same diesel rating as you would an oil marketed as a diesel oil.

For Example: From the Mobil web page;

Mobil Clean 7500 10W -30 provides excellent all season protection in a wide variety of vehicles. It exceeds warranty requirements for gasoline engines where an API certified oil is specified. It meets:

ILSAC GF-4 (API Certified - Starburst)

API SM/SL

GM 6094M

The Requirements for Diesel-Powered Vehicles where an API CF or API CD is Recommended

I have also read that diesel oils tend to still have more zinc in them. But the only way to know exactly which has what is to dig up spec sheets on them.
I've used 30w and 40w conventional racing oils for break-in, then go to Amsoil 0w-30 synthetic. I may go to conventional diesel oils when I run out of my racing oil stock and confirm which have the highest zinc content. I believe Valvoline has an oil listed for off-road use only because it's still a "racing" oil with zinc. I recall seeing several Amoil oils having a lot of zinc, including the diesel oils. It may have been on MSDS sheets but I can't find the spec sheets at the moment.

Amsoil source and info:
http://www.thelubepage.com

That is a modern oil..fleet deisel oil is for older models, HD trucks, that kind of stuff. The requirements they mention there are for things like VW TDI, small passenger deisels that were becoming popular before that fuel went $2.80/gallon. The oils I am referring to dont have the API starburst rating. This is off an Advanced Auto Parts site..I googled api oil rating...and landed here first..It sums it up well. I can tfind on a manufacturers site what additives were added or deleted for each rating, but it does reference that deisel oils have a seperate rating system...
http://www.advanceautoparts.com/english/youcan/html/ccr/ccr20030901og.html

I just came off sunoco s web site, their 20-50 racing oil is recomended for turbo charged and supercharged motors, also states it has the additivies for wear protection, if i read corectly it carries the SJ designation, I have used this oil for many years and it holds up well even when using the race fuels. it use to be sold under the cam two label ,the same as the race fuel, i could not find any mention of the cam two oils in that site so i am not sure if they are still being sold under that name. any ways ,a good quality 20 - 50 racing oil will provide everything we need for our older motors. and yes the 5-30 oils are made for the newer cars , although i have read a few dyno tests in the magazines where they used the 5-30 for the dyno run . I believe just to get the maximum horse power reading .

here is another one.....kendalls GT-1 hi performance 20 -50... carries the api of SJ the 10 -30 and 10-40 carry the api of SM ...the SM is for the newer cars. they also make a synthetic for the guys that like them.... .... bottom line ...look for the api rating SJ..... thats the one we need.... and remember ...fifty cent oil is made for fifty cent engines.......

here is the scoop on torco.....they dont list an api rating... but the 20-50 racing oils are listed for hi performance street rods, the synthetics, the blends and reg oils all list the same use.

here is a personal note....just my opinion ....diesel oils have their place,,,but it sure aint in my race motor..........

Like I've said, it's all about opinions. SL and SM from what I've read are "sunburst" for late models. I thought we were discussing street cars?..lol. My "race" car gets full synthetic 5wt.

-
Back