new old build 68 valiant

-

torred0319

Reaction score
hey everyone looking for some advice on car i have had for long time sense High school. body is a clean 68 valiant 100 rust free the car has been sitting in storage for 10 years has not been on the road in 18. I am looking for a good weekend cruiser. Something i can put my young children in ad go for cruise I don't have a huge budget and the car needs a lot of work. The body is stripped as of now last time on the road it wasnt streetable or handle well. I still have some parts but i am looking for build advice to meet my goals. 1 Daily driver, 2 stops good, 3 corners well, 4 hook decent. again I am on a budget not broke but lets say 5k for the build. Parts I have 489 a body 8 3/4 323 sure-grip lbp good usable condition 10 brakes. I have few k frames sb 67 sb 71 or 73 spool stock upper rebuilt large ball joint arms i also have set of firm feel uppers control arms i had on the the car 10 years ago. I have complete stock 71 suspension i picked up that was rebuilt i have both the 71 brakes or i have a set of 11.75 rotors with wilwood calipers. I also have a set of firm feel adjustable strut rods. I have few sets of torsion bars laying around. i dont remember what all they are but i know i have stock 340 bars and /6 bars and big set of mp performance bars. The only sway bar i have is a old pst 1 1/8 i pulled it off long ago it fit like crap did not use factory mounts and the tabs that bolted to the lca broke. in short i need a sway bar. i have few sets of rear springs /6, stock 340 and a set mp circle track springs ? I installed relocation kit "when i was 16 " It should be redone should i re do it or just repair the rails and install offset shackles ? I have a rear sway bar kit afco? not sure the brand. I do need a new trunk pan again i cut it up for fuel cell. If i replace the pan should i mini tub it? Would i be better off with a suspension kit if so what brand recommendation. Once this is back together i will probably sell off the misc parts to help recoup some cash As far as power plant i have decent 340 needs leaks fixed but has good compression and i have all parts for 833 4 speed swap. body has subframe connectors Recommendations on suspension?

and yes i have been searching but I am VERY overwhelmed. I just want a great driving car

First thing I would do is the brakes and then the steering. I like the 73-up k frames better but if the other one is rebuilt I would use it. The tubs shouldn't effect the trunk pan. Some pics would be nice

most of the parts are in storage but I cab get them shortly i will be moving again soon and will be moving it agian, ugh! Kinda why i wanted to figure out what suspension to put under it. Much easier to move the body if it rolls. the Spool k member is blasted and primered the 67 is blasted and painted the 71 was used few thoushand miles kinda rusty but has pst rebuild kit bushings ect. i do have a set of lca wit boxing plates blasted and painted also.

well car is currently at the ex wife's house... i have till march to move it out I don't have any pics right now but when i get it back i can get some.

The stock 340 rear springs are probably fine for a mainly street car, they work great for me. Try get the biggest T-bars that you can. Mine are 1.06" and I want bigger. Good shocks like Bilsteins, a reinforced later K frame, and poly bushings in suspension parts will provide you with miles of smiles.

IMAG0529_1.jpg

this coming March on 5k!!?? do yourself a favor - just get it out of there for now - "bubble-gum and band-aids" - whatever it takes!! leave the body alone and just get it rolling - NOT driving - rolling. Set it up so you can steer it onto a flatbed and get it delivered to where-ever - get back to us when you are ready to get after it!! JM2C.

this coming March on 5k!!?? do yourself a favor - just get it out of there for now - "bubble-gum and band-aids" - whatever it takes!! leave the body alone and just get it rolling - NOT driving - rolling. Set it up so you can steer it onto a flatbed and get it delivered to where-ever - get back to us when you are ready to get after it!! JM2C.
Thats the plan is get it rolling I am in the process of moving I made an offer on a place but they are willing to accept with contingency on them buying a different home. I do have court order ex was awarded the home but Contents of the barn are mine. I have till march to get it all out. I really need to get movable but I need suspension. I don't think I have enough parts to make it movable so I am putting together a list of parts I need . I really don't want to buy parts twice

The stock 340 rear springs are probably fine for a mainly street car, they work great for me. Try get the biggest T-bars that you can. Mine are 1.06" and I want bigger. Good shocks like Bilsteins, a reinforced later K frame, and poly bushings in suspension parts will provide you with miles of smiles."

Pretty what i think im gonna do. Called firm feel today after long conversation this is the plan.
73 k frame spool mount " already have "
FF upper arms large ball joint " already have"
FF adjustable strut rods " already have"
FF hd tie rods "already have"
boxed lower control arms "may have ? not sure"
73 spindles with 11.75 c body rotors and wilwood calipers
Items bought today
73 style FF 1 1/4 sway bar
FF k frame brace kit
Bilstein shocks
I never had power steering but I think im gonna add it so plan is ff stage 2 gear box
I was told 1 inch t bars are good choice your thinking the 1.06 are little soft so now i'm not sure?
Parts i still may need
torsion bars
rear springs
ps gear box core
center link and idler arm
I also plan on moving the springs out and just run an offset shackle
I was looking at the rear axle, the one axle seal is a little wet I'm planing on replacing that both rear wheel cyls and diff fluid
so far 840 to ff spent on my budget for suspension parts[/QUOTE]

The stock 340 rear springs are probably fine for a mainly street car, they work great for me. Try get the biggest T-bars that you can. Mine are 1.06" and I want bigger. Good shocks like Bilsteins, a reinforced later K frame, and poly bushings in suspension parts will provide you with miles of smiles.

View attachment 1714993729
what size wheel and tire ?

18x8.75", 255-40 rear 245-40 front.
Mines way different w/ a '69 b-body rear and drum brake spindles on front with now discontinued A.R. engineering early viper brembo caliper kit using 11.75" c-body rotors.
T-bars are easy enough to change later, from where I'm sitting it looks like you've got darn near all you need to get it rolling. good luck!

Last edited:
-
Back