new old car needs a/c

-

wstcstjunkie

69 Dart Custom
Reaction score
just got a 69 dart custom, with what looks like factory a/c. the only component that i think is missing is the box that mounts under the dash with the vents. I pushed the MAX AC button and i could hear and feel air but it wasnt cold and there wasn't much volume of air. what can i do to check the a/c system myself without having to waste some freon? Oh when i push the button for a/c i don't hear the compressor making any noises like the sound it makes when it clicks on and off. could it just need a re-charge or a new compressor?

can you post pics of the dash and engine compartment to see if everything is there

finally got some pics for this thread, so what is missing?

ac radio.jpg

eng ac.jpg

ac.jpg

engine bay.jpg

it sounds like the fan is goin but if its not cold air it is probably low or outta freon which sucks cuz you cant buy freon anymore i believe. its to harmful lol. so you will need to convert it to r134a. freon is r12

R12 freon is still available from AC repair shops. They don't advertise it and it is not well known. It is expensive though- $40.00 to $60.00 a pound. R134a in my opinion does not work near as good as R12 in the older cars. Might cool OK on the highway but in town blows out warm air. Some people say it works OK but most will say its not as cool as R12. I like to be able to have people riding with me - tell me to turn the AC down, its too cold!

A real common problem on these is the switch that controls the AC function.
It is located behind the 5 buttons on your dash controls and has vaccum lines and wiring hooked to it.

i hear the problem with 134a is the condenser needs to be about twice the size as the one needed for r12 but thats only what i hear

There are several direct Freon replacements, all butane mixtures. I use Duracool in an 85 Mercedes. It works slightly better than F-12 and much better than R-134. It is compatible with mineral oils in a Freon system and even R-134 oils. I wish I knew about it when I converted my 65 Newport to PAG oil and R-134 years ago. You must order on-line. They were in Canada when I bought a case. You do need to convert to R-134 fittings.

Re hazards, the EPA opposes butane substitutes because of "an explosion hazard". Are they now OSHA? They add mercaptan to Duracool so you would smell a leak, like natural gas. Also, they calculated that even if the full charge leaked into the passenger compartment in 5 minutes, it would not form a combustible mixture. In contrast, R-134 is both combustible and poisonous, not to mention a potent greenhouse gas. I suspect the EPA is opposed for political reasons.

R12 freon is still available from AC repair shops. They don't advertise it and it is not well known. It is expensive though- $40.00 to $60.00 a pound. R134a in my opinion does not work near as good as R12 in the older cars. Might cool OK on the highway but in town blows out warm air. Some people say it works OK but most will say its not as cool as R12. I like to be able to have people riding with me - tell me to turn the AC down, its too cold!
i agree that r12 is colder. but i know we couldnt get any in cheyenne for our public community college so you might want to ask a shop or two in your area if they can get it before you put a bunch of r12 parts on that will need to be switched for r134a

-
Back