New, OLD guy

-

Steersdad

Reaction score
Howdy boys and girls. My first car was a 64 Barracuda that I bought in High School (1969...) for $600.00. 273 with a 4 speed. I was hooked. Since then, I've owned countless Roadrunners, GTX's, RT's, 'Cuda's, and recently, Hemi Ram pickups.

Was heavy into drag racing in the early 70's, with an E-Stock GTX, later a front motored TAD with a blown 392. That, before I learned about physics, and human physiology. Front motored dragsters are a remarkably bad idea.

Now, I think the way of the SoCal lowriders. Low & Slow is the way to go.

But, I still like to show off. Just a little.

My hobby is either restoring, or updating 60's muscle cars to be less inefficient (smog & gas mileage), and handle & stop like today's cars. With the look of the 60's. My daily driver is a new Mustang coupe. Lots of looks, but only fair performance wise. Still, gets 20 + MPG and is a low emission vehicle.

Anyway, I'm looking for a new project. I've found a nice looking 68 Barracuda coupe (notchback), all stripped down to nothing. The guy has a A motor, but its only a 318. I'm thinking about the new 440", 540 HP small block from Mopar Performence: P/N 5153523,

Has anyone had any experience with this motor? Know the price?

I've attached photos of a few of my old projects. Cuda had a 500", 75 HP Indy Cylinder head motor, ran 8.30's. Installed a 450 HP, 440" motor & sold it to a super nice guy in Laguna Beach who drives it every day! GTX has been in mag's a number of times.

Doug "The ancient one"

dart.jpg

done.jpg

fancy blue car.jpg

garage.40507 002.jpg

scion.page 198.jpg

Welcome!! Great looking cars for sure! After seeing them Im looking forward to what that 68 Barracuda is going to look like all done!!

Doug, beautiful cars and a terrific story ... you've already won me over! (Of course, buying a 68 Cuda didn't hurt either LOL) Welcome to the best Mopar site on the web! If I can help you out with your resto's, don't hesitate to ask; FABO members get special treatment.

Welcome.
Did you know that 90% of buyers of 1964 Barracudas were ordered with the V8.
You sure have a great bunch going there.
This is the site that has it all, Good tec's and ready to help.
Jump on in and enjoy.

I don't know why you'd call yourself an "old guy" if you graduated from high school in 1969....

I graduated in '56 and I'm not even 70 yet (next month!!!)

Anyway, welcome to this GREAT website, but be warned, these guys are SERIOUS about their A bodies...

The reasaon I like A bodies is, no matter what engine you build, a 440 RB with N20, or a blown 426-style Hemi, it will ALWAYS be quicker and faster in an A body that it will in ANY OTHER MOPAR CHASSIS!!!

Because they're lighter!!! :)

I love 'em...

Bill, in Conway, Arkansas, home of the "Crazy Taxi" (see photo on left)

Hey folks,

Thanks for all the kind words and compliments. And to think my wife thought my obsession was unique.

Note to Bill in Conway AR. I lived in North Little Rock for a while (1975-6), and used to fish Lake Conway (Conway lake?). Really liked it there.

I'll try to dig out some other photos.

My darling bride of almost 30 years, the lovely and talented Miss Barbara, reminded me that when we met, I was driving a 65 GTO (sorry). She described my car to one of her girlfriends as "some old bomb".

Gotta love 'em.

Welcome from oldguy! All the young folks I know and enjoy being around call me that so I just started using the name! LOL Of course I like to remind them that they hope to be as old as I am one of these days. Mike

Steersdad...
I drive by Lake Conway almost every day and frequently think how lucky those fish in there are that I haven't had a hook in the water ANYWHERE, since the last time I went fishing with my Dad (1963)!

I sat in a boat all day and the only thing I had to show for it was a sunburn and some mosquito bites.

I decided then and there that the next time I considered going fishing, I'd go drag racing, instead. So, for the last 45 years, that's the way its been... LOL!

The fish in Lake Conway have nothing to fear from me... :)

Bill

-
Back