new old one from germany =:-)

-
Ok I have a similiar cam 292 mopar cam. Also installed @104°. For rear gear have 3.91's. I think your cam may do good with this gear or maybe 3.55s. Converter is a key factor need a quality converter. Try to make sure you have a well made converter. I have a 3400-3600 FTI 9.5"stall converter.

Hi,

thanks - and yes... the converter is the only thing I am thinking about to change.
The 8 3/4 has a 3.55gear.
I wanted to go with 4.11, but car should be "driveable" for road use.
Unfortunately here in germany drag racing isn't polular and the cops are "allergic" to smoking tires.
But anyway, I love the idle sound of 365 (360, 0.030) with the 292 cam....
Last year, the Barry Grant carb had to go and I decided to install a quick fuel 750 AN mech. sec.
The BG was good, but leaking from the butterfly shafts.

Still a lot of work, but "Dusty" is getting better and better.
I switched from the MSD 6AL to A 6AL2, triggered with the linelock from a knob on the B&M shifter handle.... lot of fun at the traffic light :)

BTW.... this was the car, when I bought it:

I tried to get in contact with the former owner in the USA (found his adress on a insurance card in the glove box), but he never replied..... (tried via FB).

Also this cam size with 240° duration @ 50 plus require more initial spark timing to have good bottom end probably 18° or more and total about 34° or 35°.

That's right....
The first attempts ended in a stalled engine, when switching into gear.
And first I was fooled with my timing light, because for a MSD ignition you need a special tool (I am sure you know that).
I am arround 20° at idle and nearly 35, all in.
I am using a ACCEL distributor with a mallory timing recurve kit (did the trick).
And I am using a vacuum canister, because the vac. you get at idle is "
recognizable "but not good for power brakes ;-)

The car looks fantastic. The typical micro-detail-oriented German restores it anyway. Now the German 'daily driver' is in nicer shape than most show cars in the US.

Way to go, man! That car is magnificent now, and it was sharp before!

That's right....
The first attempts ended in a stalled engine, when switching into gear.
And first I was fooled with my timing light, because for a MSD ignition you need a special tool (I am sure you know that).
I am arround 20° at idle and nearly 35, all in.
I am using a ACCEL distributor with a mallory timing recurve kit (did the trick).
What's the total with vacuum advance?

The car looks fantastic. The typical micro-detail-oriented German restores it anyway. Now the German 'daily driver' is in nicer shape than most show cars in the US.

Way to go, man! That car is magnificent now, and it was sharp before!

Thank You!
Here in "Krautland" old american steel is rare, so I wanted to do it right.
I am driving us-cars since many years, and each of it has been great in its own way.

Regards, Eckhard

Last edited:
Welcome. Nice Car. I was in the US Air Force for 20 years, and I lived in Germany (Near Frankfurt) from 1979-1981 while stationed at Rhein Main AFB. We LOVED Germany. We spent MANY weekends just taking trips to every part of the country in our 79 VW Camper. Every little town had at least one amazing restaurant and most had a brewery. Many happy memories.

love the new paint job and stance

Welcome. Nice Car. I was in the US Air Force for 20 years, and I lived in Germany (Near Frankfurt) from 1979-1981 while stationed at Rhein Main AFB. We LOVED Germany. We spent MANY weekends just taking trips to every part of the country in our 79 VW Camper. Every little town had at least one amazing restaurant and most had a brewery. Many happy memories.

thanks for your service
my preacher was stationed at Hahn AFB around that same time

-
Back