New, old tow rig

-

B-onefan

Reaction score
image.jpeg
i bought this 1998 Dodge Ram the other day to use as my tow rig. It is a 1 owner, 24 valve Cummins, 5 speed with 151k miles. Runs and drives great, tows great.

It gets 20-21 empty highway, and pulled a 68 Dart, a complete 360 and a 273/904 on a 22' car hauler the other day, at 75-78 mph and got 16.4 mpg in 105 degree weather with a 20 mph head wind.

No chip or mods ever done to the truck. I have known the truck since new.

cool. Maybe thats in my future.....What the word on the new V6 Diesel Dodge? Besides $$$

I like a the tow rig! I have a gas Chev, wish it was a diesel, like those miles per gallon numbers! Engine not even at half life yet, nice!

New diesels are about $50k. The v6 eco diesel yeah take a special oil from Europe, last time I had my oil changed at the dealer ran me $80 for my 14 ram 3500 dually crew cab, the eco goes for $120 for a oil change.

ya make me think my '95 cummins is old! ha! you will love it, if not, have ya head opened up and ya brain examined??? ha
million mile engine. the body will die first. just fact.
mine has 4:10. 18 and 13 and will pull anything. wish I had the 3:54 though.

put on a fresh air filter, straight 4" exhaust and a Quadzilla Mileage Max plug in puck and get 22 pulling ;) ... ask me how i know. harry

The new Diesels are fine. Still Cummins.
The Eco-diesels just use 5W40 synthetic oil. Nothing extra special about it. Costs more than conventional, but you don't change as often so it's a wash.
The body will rot off that truck before the Cummins dies! Just one thing, watch the lift pump if it still has one! If it hasn't been converted to an in-tank pump do it! The lift pumps crap out, the injector pumps pick up the slack and cause them to die prematurely.

I knew the dealer had to making it out to more then it was. But I love my 6.7 cummins and the 15000 mile oil changes aren't bad either. Just wish I could get rid of the def crap on it

put on a fresh air filter, straight 4" exhaust and a Quadzilla Mileage Max plug in puck and get 22 pulling ;) ... ask me how i know. harry
that is what I need!!!!!! once, I had a 91 3500 ram cummins with a straight pipe and 5 speed.... sweet! I need that chip thing!

Nice truck B-onefan. Looks familiar.

Btw forgot to follow up with you. The diff sold. I shipped it last week. Sorry.

I knew the dealer had to making it out to more then it was. But I love my 6.7 cummins and the 15000 mile oil changes aren't bad either. Just wish I could get rid of the def crap on it
Don't pull the DEF equipment off. Had a customer do that and very quickly regretted it. Swore up and down that wasn't the reason his new truck wasn't running right. Got pissed at us and walked out of shop. Went to another dealership and got told the same thing, they flagged the VIN. He found out when he went to another dealership and he thought we did it.

Well I would do it properly just need the $1500 to do it lol. Usually I do all my services, just got a few free oil changes on my truck, now that they are done, I'll be doing it, so my truck won't really be seeing a dealer. That and I'll do it after the warrenty is up lol

-
Back