New orleans travel advice

-

71340Duster

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Going to see our daughter at end of month in River Ridge, just outside of NO. My daughter sent my wife a warning about not bringing only open toed shoes because of the mess you walk thru on Bourbon St. I doubt we'll be spending much time down there but that made me think maybe I should ask for peoples advice on whatever your experience is since I've never been. My daughter and her boyfriend are foodies and she's lining up some places to go and things to do, just wanted other comments, thanks!

Yea ware some shoes you aren't crazy about but are comfortable. A lot of walking and a lot of good Cajun food. Oh yea stay away from there on "Fat Tuesday" it is a mess. Are yall coming down for Mardi Gras?

We go to New Orleans a lot, and I have never thought about not wearing open toed shoes because of dirty streets. The streets may not be the cleanest, but I have never stepped in anything like what was described. If anything, I probably wear tennis shoes because of all the walking, and there are a lot of uneven, and even broken, places of sidewalk.

Take a swamp tour - on a smaller boat if possible. Unfortunately, gators should still be hibernating and won't be out. But the swamps are definitely interesting.
St. Charles area is wonderful. Take a ride on a streetcar.
Also, tour any plantations that may be nearby.

Take the trolley west of downtown.
We did it on accident but we're very happy we did.
Lot of historical spots and interesting local culture.

The WWII Museum is really, really good.
My favorite restaurant is Commander's Palace. Pricey but worth it. Bread pudding soufflé for dessert is life-changing. But your daughter knows which restaurants you'll enjoy. Willie Mae's Scotch House is a popular soul-food place but I don't understand the hype.

I say the real Cajuns are in the s w part of the state. they call themselves Coon-***, don't know exactly why??

a car buddy used to make trips down there to see one of his friends ( Mopar guy).. picking up parts... a genuine coon-***. best family you would ever meet. poor as a church mouse. the guy had an engine on a stand in his living room. the flloor was DIRT. buddy would buy parts, and the Cajun would take the whole bunch out and buy dinner. great people down there.

makes Fl humidity look like nothing!

Yea ware some shoes you aren't crazy about but are comfortable. A lot of walking and a lot of good Cajun food. Oh yea stay away from there on "Fat Tuesday" it is a mess. Are yall coming down for Mardi Gras?

I think we'll be there before Mardi Gras, show up Jan 26. We will be there during the week, I hope it's slower on Bourbon St. honestly. In my younger years I might have scheduled the visit for that time purposely but not now : )

The best time to go is in the fall, their summer is way too warm and muggy, it's almost dangerous in the summertime. A/C is a must down there.

That is what I've heard and yeah we wouldn't have gone in the summer. Had both sons home (military) so had to wait till after Christmas to go see daughter, she's lived down there 8 months or so now.

We go to New Orleans a lot, and I have never thought about not wearing open toed shoes because of dirty streets. The streets may not be the cleanest, but I have never stepped in anything like what was described. If anything, I probably wear tennis shoes because of all the walking, and there are a lot of uneven, and even broken, places of sidewalk.

The wife was guessing the cobblestone streets, my daughter said no, vomit and urine. I aint worried about it, I am wearing tennis shoes, wife bought some comfy tennis shoe walkers. Looking forward to walking around down there!

Take a swamp tour - on a smaller boat if possible. Unfortunately, gators should still be hibernating and won't be out. But the swamps are definitely interesting.
St. Charles area is wonderful. Take a ride on a streetcar.
Also, tour any plantations that may be nearby.

I think the daughter has a plantation visit and the wife wants to do a haunted tour. Hadn't hear about the streetcar being a good option, thanks!

The WWII Museum is really, really good.
My favorite restaurant is Commander's Palace. Pricey but worth it. Bread pudding soufflé for dessert is life-changing. But your daughter knows which restaurants you'll enjoy. Willie Mae's Scotch House is a popular soul-food place but I don't understand the hype.

The wife loves a good bread pudding so if I get to pick a place I'll consider it, I checked out the menu online, looks great!

The vomit and urine statement is pretty spot on. Was stationed in La when I was in military and made a few trips down to party. Stay on the main drag streets that are well lit at night. My personal experience I saw lots of trash, rats, and bums but it was during spring break so that didn't help either. Everyone there is more than friendly though, I'd go back some day. Have fun.

Try to get a swamp tour in if you can!!!!!

I don't think we're going to do the air boat thing but we are driving somewhere that gets you into the bayou a bit. Probably nothing like doing it on an air boat though. Thanks.

Might want to watch a couple episodes of Night watch on A&E. It's filmed there. If you have a permit, you should carry.

As everyone has commented, wear some comfortable shoes. I've walk 16 miles there in one day just walking through streets in the French Quarters. There are some nasty puddles on by and around Bourbon Street, but most can be avoided/stepped over. Very fun/interesting place to visit. Lots of great and free live music in the jazz barso on Bourbon. You should definitely stop in to visit one of those.

They wash the streets with soap and water....I have been there twice during Thanksgiving...The last 2 years saw no puke on Bourbon Street.....

-
Back