new parts good or top of the line?????

-

earthmover

in the tire smoke
Reaction score
okay lets say you plan to put you motor back together would you buy the best rings,bearings or piut what was in the motor when the machins shop build it?????? its a nice little street motor not hi horsepower at all......you just want to get it back in and ready to drive on to the next project..................:mrgreen:

Sounds like OEM type replacement parts would fit your need from what you say. Stuff you can buy at any good parts store.......such as Sealed Power, TRW, Melling, Felpro, etc.

It all depends on how soon you want to build it again. I have seen machine shops start using "profit parts" which in laymen terms is the cheapest crap that will out live whatever their warranty is. I had a 318 done like that, I needed it in a hurry to get the wife back in her truck. Paid right at $1000 to have the "long block" rebuilt. Stuck an exhaust valve at 7k miles, started having blow by at 40k miles or so. Yeha once I pulled the head, they redid it, after a long fight about it. ( tried to tell me it had "bad gas" and wasn't their fault, gas ain't going to go bad in a truck that turned 7000 miles in 2.5 months!! ) I parked it with about 50k on it, don't know if it can be rebuilt again or not.

But, yes GOOD factory parts should give you a long lived happy engine. Chinese crap passed off as "factory replacement" parts wont.

For those of you in NC stay away from:
Poteats Engine Rebuilding
266 Hideaway St
Kannapolis, NC 28083

I would use what ever fits the plan. A stock type build gets stock type parts. but to be honest, there are so many little boosts you can get by running slightly better parts (like pistons) that it makes sense to use them. In terms of costs, in most cases a thinner ring is the same money from the same manufacturer and bore size. A well machined engine with stock parts will make more power than a poorly machined engien with top of the line parts.

-
Back