new pertronix ignition system

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
I have purchased and installed the Pertronix Flame Thrower III distributor and matching E core coil. Did everything per instructions and even talked with their tech. my 68 dart has a new Powermaster retro 98 amp alt. and 6 guage matching power wire. New Interstate Megatron battery. It ran the best it has for 2 months then started stalling in gear ,then backfiring at start up,then no start at all. I have changed the plugs twice n installed a new pair of Plug wires.I have went through 2 of their coils since this has started. I Have correct Start,run voltage to coil.Will not start on ether either. My fuel system is all fresh n updated also.

I think they have a 30 month warranty. If you think there is a problem with the distributor and the warranty is not expired then you should see about sending it back. Sometimes you have to fight for these kind of things but it can pay off.

Still would cause back fire or stall in gear, at least I don't see ... I think I'd do a quick compression test first .. no disconnected vacuum hoses ?

I have purchased and installed the Pertronix Flame Thrower III distributor and matching E core coil. Did everything per instructions and even talked with their tech. my 68 dart has a new Powermaster retro 98 amp alt. and 6 guage matching power wire. New Interstate Megatron battery. It ran the best it has for 2 months then started stalling in gear ,then backfiring at start up,then no start at all. I have changed the plugs twice n installed a new pair of Plug wires.I have went through 2 of their coils since this has started. I Have correct Start,run voltage to coil.Will not start on ether either. My fuel system is all fresh n updated also.
The fact that it ran good for 2 months then started acting up is pointing to the Pertronix. Sounds like something in the distributor changed, the pickup or rotor, something like that and that changed the timing. Check your distributor then find out what is eating the coils.

Changing coils is an unlikely fix, but if the ignition transistor is shorted, a coil may fail in a few minutes of extended cranking. Since you experienced backfires when cranking, that suggests a shorted transistor too, a wild spark may happen on key-off.

Typically a timing light is used while cranking, to check for spark, and timing.

My guess is the Pertronix has failed.

Did you bypass the ballast resistor on the firewall? Pertronix II & III need full battery voltage (IGN & IGN2). Some say their instructions aren't clear and/or relevant to Mopars.

-
Back