New problem for me to figure out

-

Shane

Reaction score
Hey again,

I was changing out my thermostat, and when it came time to bolt the thermo stat cover onto the intake, one of the two bolts wont tighten down....It starts to tighten, then when its close to getting tight it pops loose and wont snug down into place...

By some miracle(I dont know where they came from) i have a box with three 3/8 taps in them.

My question is do I just simply slowly thread one of the taps into the whole and it will clean all of the junk thats in there out? do I use the flat bottom tap or the one with the point on the end? Or should I use a tap one size bigger and then get a new big bolt??

I know this is a stupid problem to have, but I have never used one of those taps before, so I am just looking for the proper way to use them, and any tips or better ways to fix this problem

thanks again

shane

Just put a washer or add another washer and snug it down slightly see if it will hold the higher threads.It,s worth a try,if not run the flat tap down it and pull some of the old crap out.

Oh boy............Problem..............

I've had this happen, and had to clean the threads the best I could (flat bottom), and then I made a slightly shorter bolt.........

If I remember correctly, I took off just under a quarter inch (about 3/16) with the bench grinder, nice and easy...........made sure the end was clean and the threads were correctly ground so it would start easily........it worked for me...............

You might be able to find a bolt just a little shorter at the hardware, but it was easier to just modify mine a little.......I just wanted to be sure that it couldn't possibly bottom out, and it was only touching nice clean threads.

I have a dumb question. Is the thermostat installed with the larger side up? It should go down.

If the bolt tightens and the releases, it may be too short and is barely making contact with the threads, improper diameter, or the threads may be stripped. Recommend cleaning out the hole with the appropriate size tap and measure the depth of the hole when finished. Make sure the bolt used is just a little shorter than the depth of the hole + the thickness of the thermostat housing. If it still won't hold, you may have to drill it out and insert a heli-coil.

i have tried a number of washers on the bolt, and just tried snugging it and leaving it, but as soon as i filled it with enough water, it was leaking out around the side with the bad bolt....

I will try the flat tap tomorrow and let you guys know...

no question is a dumb question when I am trying to figure something out...but I have it the right way up...I am using the bolts that were orignally holding it down. and the one that is giving me the problems, is the same length as the side that does stay tight....

I will go to sleep tonight hoping the tap works....

if not i will need to figure out what a heli- coil is and how to use one....lol

thanks guys,

i will let you know when i get home from work tomorrow..

The bolt holes in the intake go all the way through. Drain out the coolant so there is non in the intake, set a peice of paper towel under the hole on the inside of the intake, tap it out to the next side up, drill the hole in the housing one size bigger, clean up the shavings and put it all back togeather and don't over tighten the bolts. Been there, done that and it's not a big deal to fix.

Yes aluminum intake.

as always thanks to everyone. I had some time yesterday, and went to it with the tap. (first time using one)

It worked,put everything back together and I was back on the road after 30 mins.

Shane

Next time you can Use "Stripped Thread Repair" Made by Permatex. Part #81668 Used it a few times works well.

Eric

If you cut the bolt and don't have the correct size die, put a nut in the thread before you cut. Usually, and I emphasize USUALLY, this will clean up the end of the thread.

-
Back