New Project..450ci 340

-

Rob R

Reaction score
While poking around looking for small block parts on the inter web I come across a fellow down south who has a small block reciprocating assembly.
Nice custom billet 43 lb crank..pro billet connecting rods and custom JE pistons.
I have a killer 340 block that I've been sitting on for 20 years...thick thrusts..lifter bores indexed all the good stuff so it will be a very nice match.
I had a chance last summer to pickup a set of B1BA cyl heads that couldn't have any more money spent on them if you tried and for a ferociously good deal...
But I didn't have a complete short block to use them with so I passed them on to a friend.I figured I'm jumping over enough stuff and two more heads that aren't going to get used immediately just didn't make sense even at a great price...Hind sight is always 20/20 because I could have sold those heads two times over already grrrrrrr...
So I wasn't going to have that happen to me again so I told him I'd take them if he guarantees that there are no cracks/index problems/bent.
He sent them to a different shop to have this done and get paper work...
So this little project is going to be a dyno mule for me.
I only have until Apr 1 to get it together and play with it because I have two big jobs that are going to take up all my time until Sept.
I'll post up pictures as I progress...

stay tuned.

This should be a fun thread once I get at it...I'm going to try different cyl heads but not in the average bolt on configuration...
For example the much maligned E head...I think it's a great little head now imagine if it had no push rod pinch...I'll show how it's done and what to expect.And then the very much maligned B1BA...I'll scrape together a small block 360 ci for the first couple of pulls and see if the few extra bucks they cost to use are worth it.You will be very suprized...the bad rap they have is totally undeserved.
Then I'll do the same thing to them as the E head and remove the pinch and see what happens...
I will base line any head I use in it's out of the box form on a 340/360 first before I start farting around with them.

I am looking forward to the thread and lessons. Hopefully the Winnipeg FABO boys can see it in action sometime. Good for you Rob stepping outside the box with this idea.

i think thats the 4.21 or so crank that makes about 444ci at .030 i would leave the block as thick as you can try to bore at .020 if you can, may have to modify the oil pickup with that crank. should be nice!!

Thats a big small block. What is the bore and stroke on that?

Sorry Burnt I missed you...it's a 4.100 x 4.250

DEMON340...It's a billet crank that's almost 25 lbs lighter than your typical Eagle/K1 4" crank and it has 2.00 crank pins so it's a little smaller pkg...but it's still 10lbs of stuff in a 5 lb sack so there's always something in the way.
Plus I have this new Titan oil pump that I couldn't give way on EBay or RacingJunk so I'm going to use it.It will get some kind of custom oil pan and tray/scraper pickup deal.
This is in no way shape or form some budget deal...This is what happens when you have been doing this kinda thing for a long time and your bored...
It'll make for a great thread but not practical...I don't drink or smoke I mostly just work so this is my fun...Nice fancy shiny parts and an engine dyno it just doesn't get much better than that in my book :supz:

Those are serious numbers for a stock 340 block, I'm excited to see what it does. Subscribed.

it should make some serious torque

Wild...
I'll make 500 ft lbs by accident and it will come in surprisingly quick...about 1000 rpm sooner than the comparably sized big block...light crankshafts make tq quicker...they don't make more hp they don't make more tq they just make it sooner.
Great stuff on the street 8)

I'll make 500 ft lbs by accident and it will come in surprisingly quick...about 1000 rpm sooner than the comparably sized big block...light crankshafts make tq quicker...they don't make more hp they don't make more tq they just make it sooner.

interesting!

Wild...

Yep....should be a tire fryer for sure....!!!! 8)

Rickster

-
Back