New Radiator in the Valiant...

-

Andgott

Reaction score
I was having a lot of overheating problems last fall with the Valiant- I replaced just about everything (water pump, thermostat, etc), and still ha issues. My original Radiator had some leaks, and didn't seem to get good flow through it any more, so I decided to replace it with a new one.

I ordered a Champion CC63DT. Seemed to be the closest fit.
0525Rad.jpg

It's pretty, At least....

It was a LITTLE smaller than the factory radiator- the brackets fit inside the opening in the radiator support, so I made a couple of brackets out of 1/8" x 3" steel. If nothing else, it was an excuse to break out the seldom used Plasma cutter-

0525brackets.JPG

This was also the first 'project' that I got to use my new Bend-Pak four post lift on... Sure, you don't NEED a lift to install a radiator, but i'm spoiled now. I like to stand up to work.

0525radin.JPG

It's a good fit.

0525radin2.JPG

And, hooking up the lower hose/transmission cooler lines was SO easy when I could just wlk under the car... Did I mention that I'm spoiled??

0525coolerlines.jpg

I've filled it, and did a test run. So far, so good. Seems to be cooling MUCH better now- And it's so purdy, too...

Oh- Did I mention that I LOVE my lift??

0525OnLift.JPG

0525radfit.JPG

Same here. It hasn't been real hot yet, but I drove around the other night at 190 for about thirty minutes.

Love your rack! :rolleyes:

can't beat this fit. But no one likes the price tag that goes with it.

radiator.jpg

I just got a quote from a radiator rebuilder to recore my BB 3core , extra cooling radiator . The quote was twice the cost of a Champion . Can't tell me a Champion's not cost effective .

I finally had a chance to do a good road test today... This thing is a BEAST when it comes to cooling. No problems at highway speeds or at idle. With the old radiator, I had all sorts of problems, especially on hot days when stopped or moving slow. That is all gone now. This was a great investment!

I've got Champions in my Skylark, my Firebird, and my Mustang, and they all cool well, but I'm still up in the air about painting them black. I can see the shiny aluminum through all the grilles and it kind of bugs me a bit. You can't, however, beat the price on any of them.

I'm still up in the air about painting them black. I can see the shiny aluminum through all the grilles and it kind of bugs me a bit.

I thought about that... But after I installed it, I found I REALLY cant tell on the Valiant, unless I'm really looking. With the hood open, it stands out, though. It doesn't bother me since it's not like my car is an original 'survivor'.

-
Back