New Radiator trouble

-
There are clearance holes in the base of the clutch that you put a bolt through... You have to keep the pulley from rotating while installing and removing it...
Yep, just went out there and found them and removed the clutch and fan.
With the clutch and fan removed, I can get the radiator in place.
But there is still a problem with the core supports.
While the driver side of the radiator is pushed flush with the support, the pasenger side has at least 1/2 inch of space.
20190928_202056.jpg

Last edited:
Ditch the fan clutch and get a OEM 7 blade and spacer. Tones of space and less parts to break.

You can put a 7 blade fan on the clutch and get the benefit of better cooling and the clutch will disengage while on the highway to keep the fan from blocking air while driving down the highway...

clutch will disengage while on the highway to keep the fan from blocking air while driving down the highway
Non issue IMHO fan spinning at 2000 to 3000 RPM (crank and fan pulley about the same dia) isn't going to block air flow.

First problem is, someone has bolted the fan directly to the flange that attaches to the water pump. It should be bolted to the fan clutch itself and it is not.

Sounds like you got one of those radiators that is simply too wide. Can you post a picture of it? I assume this is all for the car in your avatar? Tons of people have run clutch fans in these cars with zero issues. The standard two row that has either 1" or 1.25" two rows of flues is enough to cool like 700 HP in a core the size of the later A body. Was there a particular reason other than making a clutch fan impossible to fit that you chose a three row?

you can get that part number at Rock Auto for a good price .
Not much of a length difference between that one in your link and the Hayden # 2765 for the jaguar except the price. Jag one is $28, the other supposed super short one thats not much shorter than the already short jaguar one is $40. Save the $12

Not much of a length difference between that one in your link and the Hayden # 2765 for the jaguar except the price. Jag one is $28, the other supposed super short one thats not much shorter than the already short jaguar one is $40. Save the $12

The reason for the 2947 is that it is a heavier duty version designed to be ran with a steel fan. The Jaguars use a lighter plastic fan.

The older jags including the XJS used a metal fan before they went to plastic, and the 2765 crosses to that as well.

Sounds like you got one of those radiators that is simply too wide. Can you post a picture of it? I assume this is all for the car in your avatar? Tons of people have run clutch fans in these cars with zero issues. The standard two row that has either 1" or 1.25" two rows of flues is enough to cool like 700 HP in a core the size of the later A body. Was there a particular reason other than making a clutch fan impossible to fit that you chose a three row?
Yeah this is a Champion 3 core that is supposed to be direct replacement, other than the extra core.
CC526B is the part number I believe.
I think if I get the lower profile clutch I could make it fit.
The main issue now is the passenger support is out of square. I talked to a friend and were going to try and bend that side in to get it closer to square. That way I could at least get the radiator mounted and running.

Is the new radiator flat?

If you lay it down on a flat surface do both mounting flanges touch all sides?

Rad might be welded crooked. That might be why it sits funny in the support.

Just a friendly discussion ;)

I like the fact that Hayden went out of their way to make a clutch available, the 2947, specific to our cars, thanks to the many mopar guys who worked together to make it happen.

From the Hayden spec sheet:

pn: 2947: Heavy Duty, for use with fans with deeper pitch of 2.5"

pn: 2765: Standard Duty, for use with fans with a lighter pitch of 1.5"

The MP 5 blade viscous fan pn: 4140063 has a blade pitch of 2.5". Cant find info on the pitch of the jag fan

IMG_5685.jpg

Actually using an 18" Derale 6 bladed fan. Not sure on fan pitch since it's not in front of me, but the pitch is not the length of the blade, rather the angle bite of the blade. I can check in a bit, but the pitch on this fan is pretty flat. About 1.5" on my calibrated eyeball guesstimator. In that case the Hayden 2765 Shaguar clutch will be just fine.

Screenshot_20190929-183135_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190929-183145_Samsung Internet.jpg

Last edited:
Is the new radiator flat?

If you lay it down on a flat surface do both mounting flanges touch all sides?

Rad might be welded crooked. That might be why it sits funny in the support.
Yeah I looked at that as well, but the new radiator is flat.

BTW I want to say thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge y'all share.
Every time I have an issue or question, yall always come through!

BTW I want to say thanks to everyone for the wealth of knowledge y'all share.
Every time I have an issue or question, yall always come through!
I know pics are decieving, but the cradle looks crooked/bent to me , like the car has been wrecked before .

Yep, just went out there and found them and removed the clutch and fan.
With the clutch and fan removed, I can get the radiator in place.
But there is still a problem with the core supports.
While the driver side of the radiator is pushed flush with the support, the pasenger side has at least 1/2 inch of space.
20190928_202056.jpg
My core support was similar and a dead blow hammer was able to make it straight

Update: I decided to run the new radiator with three mounting bolts since there was no issue with the new fan clutch. Thanks to Mopardude318 and the other I cant seem to remember for letting me know about the low profile Hayden clutch! I also installed an Autometer mechanical water temp gauge just in case.
I drove it in the Cruising The Coast parade and it never got above 210 even with 5-10 mph parade speed!

-
Back