New Rear Body Panel: Leave factory seams or finish smooth?

-

MobileCustoms

Reaction score
Happy New Year everyone!
Just working on my 67 cuda today, ready to weld on my new rear body panel and was considering whether to finish it off as the factory did with seam sealer at the quarters or finish it smooth with no visible seams?
This car is very solid but is not an all original car nor is it intended to be, at this point at least. I am trying not to molest it too bad in case someone else somewhere down the line wants to return it to factory.

Just looking for general opinions and perhaps some photos of some smooth-finished ones. I kind of like the idea of smoothing it all out.

ps.... I am installing the '68 panel that has the dual exhaust cutouts.

Thanks!

Attachments

• QuarterSeam.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 207
I am putting a 68 panel on my 67 also with cutouts. I think I am going to smooth mine. What are your plans for backup lights?

68s had the reverse lights in the taillight...no holes for reverse lights in the valance. Maybe you have a '69 valance?

The valance came with no holes at all. I believe it said it was a 68 big block (formula S?) I just figured on drilling the holes for the reverse lights with a hole saw. I don't see any other differences in the sheet metal. Seems to fit great.

Am I missing something? -wouldn't be the first time!

The valance came with no holes at all. I believe it said it was a 68 big block (formula S?) I just figured on drilling the holes for the reverse lights with a hole saw. I don't see any other differences in the sheet metal. Seems to fit great.

Am I missing something? -wouldn't be the first time!

Is it aftermarket? Makes sense they would leave the holes off so you can use it for 67-9

light holes were the same 67 and 69, but the lights themselves are different lengths (plenty of threads on that here)

I am going to smooth mine...

This is what I did.

I went back and looked at my pics to see what I did for the seam- I decided to weld it up smooth, I am sure no one will miss those the seam sealer lines back there ;)

-
Back