New Rear Gears

-
I want to run a lower gear in my Dart. I currently have a 3.23 and 15" tires and it cruises well at 55 mph at about 2500 rpm. I'm thinking of a 3.91 or a 4.10. Anyone run gears this low on the street ? also would you suggest just buying a new ring and pinion or the whole chunk assembled ? Thanks

I know Coyote Jack usually runs 4.10 on the street and when he comes down to my neck of the woods he changes it for his other chunk which have 3.23 gears.

Thanks Craig, just bought new super stock springs and new offset hangers as well. I think I'm going to buy the whole chunk brand new from Mancini here in Michgan and go with the 4.10 and keep the 3.23 chunk if I'm going on a highway trip. Also eyeing up a set of roller rockers good for 25-30 horse.

I had 4.30s in my Demon when I was running a 29" tall tire, now I have 3.55s with 26" tall tire. Both ran about the same 3000rpm at 60mph. I didn't enjoy either on the hiway that much, especially if you needed to do 70mph. I just cruise in town 98% of the time anyway. I run a 3200 converter, which is lots on the street for this torqey stroker. If you want some more low end grunt then try the 4.10s, you will find out soon enough if need more stall, and even if you do you'll still be quicker off the light then you were.
Are you going to do a cam swap at the same time as the rockers? I've never heard of rockers freeing up 25-30hp, I doubt you will not much difference, especially if your build is mild.

I just had RRP do my late A body 8 1/4 with 3.73 & shur-grip. 273 W/904, stock converter and Transgo 2 shift kit. Tires TBD but will be the biggest 15" that will fit in the wheel well without rubbing the sidewall on the springs. :burnout:

Check with QWKSLVR "Bobby" he may be able to help he has a same car as you.

If I did a lot of cruising a o/d transmission would be a no brainer. We just finished the drive train in my dad's car and he is kicking himself for going with a 4 speed.

I did the o/d tranny with 3:55 gears and it was sweet at 60 mph.

Without overdrive and 28"ish tires, 3:55 max if you like to DRIVE it. Never been that impressed with a drag car that has a license plate on it. To each his own.....

-
Back