new shift shaft seal leaking

-

plymouth73

Reaction score
hello mopar fans,

I recently put my 1973 plymouth scamp 318 in the shop to have a couple leaks fixed one of which was a leaking shift shaft seal, I had the car back for two days and it is leaking just as bad as the day I took it to the shop. Does anyone have any ideas of what they might have done wrong I am thinking they put the wrong seal in. I already called them and will be taking it back to be fixed but i have no confidence that they will fix it at this point. this is a job I would have done myself if I had the time and the fact that it had to be in the shop for other leaks I figured why not have them do it.

We can't know what they did or didn't do. My best guess.., They tried the short cut route. Replaced the outer seal ( maybe R&R from the outside ) not knowing that the 'O' ring seal inside is also leaking. There is a shaft in a shaft there, thus multiple seals at play. There are all the same age too. Shortly after fixing my leak at selector shaft, the front seal started leaking. No surprise there.

As redfish mentioned there is an inner and outer seal on the selector shaft. I will also say that there is a pivot pin at the rear of the main case with one or two O ring seals on it depending on the shaft you have. You have to remove the tail housing, valve body, and let the rear band adjustment off to pull the shaft completely out. I replaced my one O-ring seal with a double O ring shaft and seal from A&A transmission. After all that my front seal is leaking too. LOL
Matt

the problem was the mechanic changed the wrong seal lol but now both seals are new and everything is fine. I figured this out because I bought my own seal and took it to the shop with the car I showed the mechanic the seal and told him he might of used a cheap seal or you did it wrong so I want you to use this seal, so I gave him the seal and he said what is this! I laughed and said its the seal that you should have changed! he changed a little rubber seal for the kickdown lever thinking thats where it was leaking. I wont be going to that shop again!

-
Back