New Small Block Stroker Engine Noise

-
I know this is an old thread. But Im putting my 408 back together now. I just drop my OOTB Eddy heads off at the machinist the other day for some work, than I got a call that he needed me to stop in. He mentioned the valve be awfully tight and wanted to show me what else was going on. They have been on the car for about 3,000 miles when it was a 340. From day one it was loud coming from the rocker area as well. I went over it several times as you did and never found the problem. After I got the call from the machinist I started searching for common problems and came across this old thread. It only took a few hours to get though all 8 pages. LMAO! I'll stop by the shop in the next few days to see whats up, and if its the same thing going on. Now Im running hyd. Flat tappet cams not a rollers but we will see if its the same. Thanks for the ideas. I going to double check my pushrods when I get home from work for sure.

The heads had been cut along with the intake of course to up the compression. Probably not the best way but installed hardened washers under the shafts to bring them up a little to fix the problem.

You did WHAT??? Hughes sells rocker shaft shim kits. The rockers get lubed from the rocker pedestals. A hardened washer would not seal very well.

Stopped by the machinist yesterday. First concern was the tight value guides. I told him i had seen on here about the eddys being tight. He's going to fix that. But he also had to show me the springs. They are not straight at all. They caused some slight wear on the valve stems. Not bad, can be buffed out and still work. Good thing I don't have too many miles on the heads. These springs are pretty bad, he's never seen a set like it. Couldn't see any wear marks around the pushrod holes or on the push rods. But I'll be sure to check those out for clearance before finally assembly. He said the noise I was hearing could possible have been from the tight guides slightly hanging up the valves when closing. Here is a shot of the springs.
20130215090901.jpg

i know nothing but have read that the retainer hitting the arm is a big problem in these
your geomitry looked good to me but i would pop a valve cover and take a look just to eliminate the issue but dont dismiss yet but can move on to next possibility with all the help you have here g/l

-
Back