New South Florida Dart owner (convertible)

-

DA69RT GT

South Florida Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK guys- Im finally getting around to introducing myself (sorry) as I’ve been on here since June asking questions and taking advantage of years of experience and knowledge.
I grew up around MOPAR’s with my 1st car being a '72 318 Charger SE while my brother had a '69 440 Road Runner. My dad owned a local Goodyear so as you could imagine… the compressors were usually running way past closing time!
Well its been 25yrs since I sold my “baby” for $1500 to buy a Trans Am (ugh) because I was told I could only have 1 car (thanks Dad). But- IM BACK!!!!!!
I recently told my wife I was getting either A: an older car or B: a younger girlfriend… no ifs, ands, or buts... and SHE could choose. And although she did give the ok on the car, she has recently said a girlfriend might be cheaper in the long run and would probably take up less of my time (?). lol
Heres my story: Im a Professional Baseball Scout, and was out in Memphis watching some games this summer when I noticed an ad for a car in Oklahoma. I had originally wanted a Cuda or Challenger but realized they were way out of my price range. So, here was a 69 Dart convertible B5 Blue w/white top looking a little rough but could see it had potential. I told my wife if I didn’t check it out- Id kick myself later. So… I rented a car and drove 7hrs to see if it was a keeper. As soon as I saw the car- I knew I wanted it… convertible in South Fla? Whatdaya think? We cranked it up, brought it to a local shop and put it in the air, test drove it, and told him I was gonna spend the night and sleep on it. Made an offer the next morning and then actually made a deal to pay him and his buddy to trailer it down to me the very next day! I flew home with the title for my “new” car and it showed up 2 days later.
Don’t get me wrong- shes far from perfect and the pictures actually make her look better than she is... but shes MINE! Don’t have a very big budget but gonna work with what I have. Starting with engine and drive train- putting on new carb, elec ignition- have to put on new exhaust manifolds as the 340 Xheads didn’t line up real well with the 273/318 factory ones that were left on (tick tick tick). Converting Automatic from column to console and rebuilding tranny. Had no kickdown linkage which I put on right away. Had some overheating issues-got a 22” radiator from SGBARRACUDA and had it 3x recore, took out the 195 thermostat and gutted it, and putting on a new shroud and Viscous clutch fan. All the gaskets (intake/valve cover/etc) redone due to somebody going crazy with silicone. Learned about LH lugnuts the hard way (duh) and have changed out the drivers side to all RH. My last big issue will be trying to figure out a wiring problem. Seems someone used some tin foil on a fuse and the relay to the blinkers gets real hot. If anybody has any suggestions- please… thinking of new underdash harness but that’s getting expensive.
Last will be interior, new tires, and paint (typical rust behind doors and behind wheel wells). when the funds are built back up. All still have a little life left and will be fine for the time being. She looks pretty good when clean.

I don’t know what I would have done without this site, and many of the the members who have stepped up and given me well-needed and informative advice and great deals on needed items. I have been collecting parts and getting ideas the past few months as I prepared to dig in. SGBARRACUDA was actually the 1st person I had contact with and bought parts from, and we still stay in touch… having run into him @ Garlits Mopars event in Ocala in Nov. Great guy and never too busy to answer questions… many many other FABO members have been great to me and I cant say enough about this site and how helpful everyone is.
Thanks in advance for all of your help, and I will look forward to sharing my progress as I go… hope my endless question log doesn’t offend anyone. Now excuse me as I try to get the rest of the clay and hornets nest out of the undercarriage. DougC.

UNDER TREE1.jpg

DSC04068.jpg

INTERIOR1.jpg

IMG_2345.jpg

My Dart.jpg

Doug is a great guy, has beautiful wife and an adorable son. I'm having to overlook the fact that he is a scout for the wrong baseball team, but it's ok. I've had the pleasure of his company on more than one occassion. So yawl show him a little FABO luv.

I had a 69 once. but sold it much too early..relationship problems....it was an original /6 three on the tree car! rubber floor mats, bench seat car. before I sold it, i converted it to a 340 904 8.75/3.91 car. ran mid 12's through the mufflers. no tach, just a autometer shift light, boy did it suprise some....the only scare card on the car was the hood, which I had the 440 inserts from year one in the slots, not a good idea for street racing! centerlines all the way around. Just a nice clean car, and daily driver @ that! enjoy your 69! I did while I had mine!

Thanks for all the kind words... and yes- I am also a big Cragar fan. Looking to eventually beef up the rear wheels/tires.
The car orig came with 273 but now has a 360 with 727 trans 8 3/4 posi and 3.55 gears. Seems to have some get up and go... automatic barks tires in 2nd. Will be interested to see how it all comes together. May eventually take it to track to see what it will do- but mostly looking for a beach cruiser that turns an occ head or 2. Thanks again...

Nice Dart,
I'm living in Fort Lauderdale with my Dart (still waiting for income) Hopefully will see you around.

Looks great

Hey Jarvis- Toys For Tots Car Run/Car Show is Dec 13 10am-4pm. Starts at Eds BBQ in Boca and finishes in Palm Beach Gardens. Put on by MOPARS of the PALM BEACHES and Napelton Dodge but open to all makes and models- should be worth the drive up.

Welcome to this great site DA69RT GT :cheers:
Glad to see a friend of SGBARRACUDA jump in and And thank you for intoduceing your self and that great Dart =P~
Welcome from Arkansas :cheers:

Couple more pics uploaded. As you can see- there is potential... just a matter of time (and $). Check out the spaghetti wire mess going to the plugs... and where someone had the air cleaner stud adjusted too high- bent right thru hood! The interior will hopefully be started in Jan/Feb... until then, the button tuck look is fine (see back seat). By the way... someone asked about the 2007 pic dates- the owner gave me a disk of old pics he had taken- nothing has changed since then. TTI Headers arrive Monday! Ill let you know how it goes later in the week...

IMG_2014.jpg

DSC04070.jpg

SNV33270.jpg

SNV33266.jpg

SNV33258.jpg

SNV33260.jpg

Good stuff!

What did you do to bring the paint up!??

Looks good man!
Well done!

Thanks Nemisis-
Used a light compound and good old Turtle wax! Had to be careful on hood as there isnt much paint left.
But- pics are misleading... still just a 10 footer+ and paint is not in the budget anytime soon, unfortunately.
The TTI Headers took a chunk outta reserve fund and making sure my 4yr old son has a great Christmas is more important than anything in the world to me.

That's a nice looking Dart ragtop...I like the color combo and the old school cragars look great on it.I think I'd like to get a set for my Dart now.

Regarding your fuse/hot relay problem,it sounds like you might have one of your signal lights going to ground.Most likely place is one of the light sockets or the last bit of the wires going to them.Are your signal lights all working? if there's one that's out or dim then that's likely where the problem is.

Thanks for all the kind words... its amazing how an "old" car can make you feel "young" again. lol
Ive started a link on Restorations but have added an updated pics here to show the spaghetti wires are GONE!

Hey 67GTConvert- was just waxing the Cragars today... they are the best!
And thanks for your heads up on the fuse/relay issue- may have made some progress. Passenger side blinker was out- I pulled the bulb (which was good) and sanded the contacts and now the blinkers work!

Merry Christmas FABO!

enginr strait on.jpg

-
Back