New speaker for old radio?

-

62 Val

Reaction score
I took apart my stock mopar radio today. (The manual says it's a model 203 but on the bottom of the case it was marked 103.) I used tuner cleaner and now the radio is like new. However, the 47yr old speaker is tired and I would like to replace it without going crazy. I traced the size on a piece of paper and measured it a 6in.x9in. What kind of speaker would I use to replace the original? The speakers on sale all appear to have modern applications, and have a zillion watt-capacities...AND...they all come in pairs!

Any suggestions?

P.S. I forgot to measure the thickness of the original, but anything thicker probably will not fit.

-Dan

Get your original reconed. Newer speakers may have wrong impedence & are not really intended for old low power AM radios.

Go to "the Speaker Exchange" at SpeakerEx.com

I followed their directions, mailed my speaker to them, they sent it back re-coned.

Dave

My 63 radio diagram shows it is setup for a 4 ohm speaker which is what most new car speakers are rated at. So if you want to go to Autozone and buy one speaker to replace it, you should be okay.

Took Duster and Newbie's advice and got an Autozone 6x9 speaker for 16.99.

Took out the old speaker, and to my delight, the new one was a bit thinner than the original! Yay! It also has that original 1962 "super mono" sound. The new speaker mounted in the metal frame perfectly--even used the original screws. ...Now if only they would bring back a 50,000 watt clear-channel oldies station on AM!

BTW, speaker from Autozone is part no. AW-669SP. Metra Roadworks Dual Cone, 70Hz-15KHz, 30watt max, 4-8ohm compatible...Perfect for LO-FI!!!

Thanks for all the help, Dan

-
Back