New steering box

-

Mouse action

Reaction score
My steering box has some play,where can I get a New replacement For a 64 valiant with power steering ?

Have you adjusted it recently? You can take some play out that way.
Also you can download a Factory Service Manual online to show you how.

I have replaced several steering boxes in my old Mopars, and have learned that rebuilt boxes from the usual sources (such as NAPA, O'Reilly and CarQuest) are sometimes defective. (Of these usual sources, I have had the best luck with CarQuest rebuilt boxes.) If the box turns out to be defective and you want to take full advantage of the warranty, you need to have a professional mechanic install it; otherwise you won't be able to recoup any labor costs. Before driving the car with a rebuilt P.S. box, carefully check to see if the spool valve is working properly: jack up the front end and with the engine running, turn the steering wheel from stop to stop to see if it returns to center OK after a turn, or does it resist returning back to center (can be deadly if you drive it before testing, and don't know what to expect)? "Boutique" rebuilders like Firm Feel and Red Top (there may be others) do a very nice job on Chrysler steering box rebuilds, but they are somewhat pricey.

Have you adjusted it recently? You can take some play out that way.
Also you can download a Factory Service Manual online to show you how.
Do download the manual. The proper adjustment is done while the engine is running.
I thought I needed a new box for mine until I followed the instructions in the manual!
Also, there does not appear to be any rebuilders having these in stock.

Lares in Minnesota rebuilds these, I just got my box and pump back from them. You can deal direct or through Rock Auto. If you go through Rock Auto, you can take advantage of their low shipping rates with FedEx. Mine is not yet installed, but the previous one I did, with pump, for my '61 Chrysler 300G went just fine, no problems, 9 years on. They do not offer the firm feel option however, so if you want that, you need to deal with the specialty shops. Check Rock Auto for pricing.

I’m of the belief I just need to get some of the slack out of the box,it drives fine just a bit of play.
I’m going to try the adjustments before the $$$$.$$

Steer n Gear I believe in Ohio, They have rebuilt 3 for me with excellent results been in the cars over 15 years. Get the highest level of firmness on the rebuild.

If its not leaking and you can adjust it, that's the way to go. I'm doing a full restoration on my car and wanted the pump and box to be gone through with new seals etc. I just pulled the receipt, through Rock Auto I paid $148 for the pump, and $175 for the box with a shipping cost of $22 for both items. I think I used a discount code too.

-
Back