new str-12 422 stroker

-

VIZ

Reaction score
68' 340 60 over,B1BA heads,str 12 w/ custom 1 inch spacer for top plate, cam motion roller 259/263 dur 684/684 110 lobe seperation 106 intake centerline. The holley are 650HP's. I went with the cro'd huges 1.6 roller rockers. their solid roller lifters also. Pistons are prob flat tops, final compression is 12.1. The bottom end I went with the program main caps and a girdle. Hopefully dyno'd next week. what do guys think?

Attachments

• 422 close up of pro gram caps and girdle.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 501
  • 422 stroker short block.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 503
  • 422 stroker short block BOT.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 498
  • close up ***. str12.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 501
  • chassis dyno #3.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 526
  • B1BA exh port.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 516
  • B1BA combustion chamber polish.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 495
  • assembled stroker in egine room.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 493
  • ***.engine w str 12.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 506
  • 422 veiw of installed cam.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 511
What did you do for headers? Safe to assume they are custom?

more pics

Attachments

• ported intake runner#2.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 492
  • motor in dyno car pic 2.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 477
  • dyno car.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 503
  • str12 plentum polish.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 480
Very nice!Someone spent time,and care porting manifold and head combo.Nice to see that.If a A body,tight 3800/4200 8 inch converter.4.10s,4.30s out back no spray.

My cars combo is full interior 68 dart 8 3/4 4:88 spool a1 8" 4500 cal tract susp. 275/60/15 M/T drag radial, torsion bars stock susp. up front

Look at the head porting,you will figure it out,340.Back to the original o.p.IF YOU CAN HOOK IT UP,(lol!)high to mid 10s easy.Your head porting money,to do the heads/intake as a complete combo very well spent.Mini Max Wedge,indeed.

Thanks for posting this VIZ. This build is fascinating to me. So many cool things going on here. That's what i think......so far....lol. Not sure if you were asking for predictions and honestly i been thinking about it for hours and haven't come to any conclusions yet:-k. Big cubes, big heads, big lift, moderate [email protected] and then throw in the str...........I do know there will be a big number somewhere, just haven't figured out where yet:D.

im goinig to say 625 hp and 550 tq but i hope more than that cause i love the combo:D

Not sure I understand the 1" spacer under the srt-12 top plate. What is the theory behind it?

Ok your not the first person to question this. So I'll open this up. The reason is basically the carbs are to close to the floor of the plenum. The theory is that the air bounces off the bottom of the bottom then fights the lip right before the runner so....... Tom at Tom's Performance in Vancouver wash. Thought it would be cool to raise the lid and take the lip before the runner off allowing the air to have more of a direct direction of flow. So I water jetted a piece to raise the lid and he added the 1" wood spacers. What made me go through with it was lookiking at the amc's str on their drag cars the top plate is taller. Obviously you can't care about hood clearance. Everything is pretty smooth except right before the runner entrance that was not as smooth. It was felt that area should be that's way because I will drive on the street somewhat. Raising the roof had nothing to do with needing more volume. Anyways let's hear what you guys think.

Head flow numbers and valve sizes please.

Breaking in the rings, springs this week and then the week of the 17th of sept. Will be WOT runs in the dyno car on the chassis dyno. I am hoping 650 hp 590 or 600 tq. But that intake is definitely the wild card. I will put all specs for motor in forum soon

When i posted earlier the intake is what i was conflicted on the most. Small carbs with alot of velocity will cause the issues that Tom was refering to. I've only been involved with a crossram on a small Chevy and it needed alot of carb. As crazy as it sounds, my first thought was that it may be undercarbed. I know you want to run some street miles so the 650's with a good tune will probably be fine. These type intakes have a window of torque and are normally a little slack outside that window. It's usually pretty high up in the rpm range, but with the big cubes i'm not sure where that will fall. That's what has me so curious as to how the power curve turns out. If your torque peak in the 4-5K range then i don't think you'll come close to that number at the wheels. If the intake can carry the the torque peak up into the 5-5500 range you may get 575-600hp and 525-550tq at the wheels. Just my opinion and i hope you prove me wrong:D. I can't wait to see how this turns out.

Ok your not the first person to question this. So I'll open this up. The reason is basically the carbs are to close to the floor of the plenum. The theory is that the air bounces off the bottom of the bottom then fights the lip right before the runner so....... Tom at Tom's Performance in Vancouver wash. Thought it would be cool to raise the lid and take the lip before the runner off allowing the air to have more of a direct direction of flow. So I water jetted a piece to raise the lid and he added the 1" wood spacers. What made me go through with it was lookiking at the amc's str on their drag cars the top plate is taller. Obviously you can't care about hood clearance. Everything is pretty smooth except right before the runner entrance that was not as smooth. It was felt that area should be that's way because I will drive on the street somewhat. Raising the roof had nothing to do with needing more volume. Anyways let's hear what you guys think.

Interesting! I would love to see tests with and without the spacer.

Congrats VIZ. Hope to see your car at sac again some time. I had the air tank. Now with the cross ram it fits with the hemi scoop. good luck.

Rick I originally was going w/ 750hp but we felt the 750's would make more power on the dyno but real world racing at the track (3580 lbs) would be to much this is a full legendary interior car w no fiber glass. Thought it may fall on its face. But your concern was ours too.

i never knew there was a b1 head for a small block but i know they are awsome on a big block i would like to hear more on these b1 sb heads ...good luck that thing is gonna scream

-
Back