New to A-Bodies, buying my first!

-
Welcome to this great site, Looks like you have one of my old Challengers in your Avatar, Ever been to a small town called Paw Paw ?
Keep us updated and enjoy

Never even heard of Paw-Paw?! I met the original owner (Builder)Stephen Wright in 1997.
He is from Decatur Illinois and built the car around 1987.

I purchased the Challenger in 1997 from a classic car lot in Bloomington IL.
Other than rebuilding the 440 and painting the car(removed longitudinal side stripes and R/T emblems) it has not changed much.

I know the car went through a couple people before I bought it, and all i know about the cars history is what the builder told me. . .

It was raced in (I was told) Super Stock class in late '71-73 with a Hemi 4spd and then sold w/ no motor/trans and bracket raced into the mid 80's.

It was originally a 383HP 4spd non R/T, (naturally) Dk Green w/black top and interior.

If you did indeed own this old challenger I'd love to know it's owner history!
I have some old pictures of the car when it was raced fully dressed from 1972 in California. (LA built car)

The car was put back on the street with a stock Dana 60 and a pile of new parts. He left the wheel tubs and the ends of the old roll cage in the trunk (trunk is not finished!)

It's been a great car for the past 13 years, and I feel fortunate to have it!

A 69 Valiant hood will work just fine with the stock 70 Duster grille, if you use the 67 or 68 hood with the "beak" you'll need the same year Valiant grille to go with it, or it sure will look odd. 69-72 Valiant or Duster hood is the same, and the aftermarket sells them that way.
BTW, Dart hoods wont work, unless you change to the Dart grille too.
Hope this helps,
Alan
Cool find, by the way! Hope nothing bit you cleaning it out!

Didn't get bit, from the smell of it what ever was alive in the Duster has been dead a long time!
Thanks though!

Welcome to the A body community. We will be glad to help u on anything that u might need help with once you bring the car home. Never hesitate to ask for help.

well its belated but welcome to the best web site on line great people here and I am about 45 mi. from you good to see another Illinois member

It's back and there was too much left to put into a bucket!
The media did reveal about what I was expecting. The previous owner told me about a dent in the drivers side quarter between the door and wheel well, this is more than a dent!

Lots hiding under that primer!

I'll post some shots later today.

I took these pics on my lunch break. . .

IMG00088-20100203-2230.jpg

IMG00089-20100203-2231.jpg

I have been away and occupied with work and life in general, but here are some updated pics if anyone is still out there!

Attachments

• engine comp. primer.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 197
  • Duster progress Pics 008.jpg
    104 KB · Views: 210
  • Duster progress Pics 033.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 213
  • Duster progress Pics 034.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 208
  • Duster progress Pics 025.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 211
wow great work your doing. I cant wait to see the quarters hung and some color being shot on there!

I need HELP!!!! I was installing the drivers side window and it shattered! We are still trying to get to the Mopar Nats next weekend and I can't believe I let this happen!
Anyone in the area have a non tinted drivers side glass they can spare and get it to me QUICK?!!!
PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

I'm in the central Illinois area by the way.

I want to send a shout out to SleeperScamp for coming through with the windshield gasket, that got me back on track and I can't thank him enough!
Kudos SleeperScamp! Top notch, I hope I get the chance to help you and get you back some day.
Thanks again!

Well guys and gals, I got it finished!
I couldn't have gotten it finished in the time we did nor would the Duster have turned out as nice as it did without the help of my Father, and two of the best guys I have ever known, Scott and Ryan.
Those guys came through and worked like it was a second job for the last 6 months to have the Duster at the Mopar Nationals. And we made it!

This car was an undertaking/trial run to build a car that has been in my head since I was a little kid and I wanted to see if we could build the car start to finish top to bottom in my garage. And we did!

I am very proud with how the Duster turned out and looking forward to some full throttle passes at Monster Mopar Weekend in Indianapolis Indiana @ IRP in September!

Attachments

• Duster Finished Friday 8 12 2011 004.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Duster Finished Friday 8 12 2011 010.JPG
    154.3 KB · Views: 146
  • Duster Finished Friday 8 12 2011 008.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 140
  • jeep 007.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 141
  • jeep 006.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 141
More pics, Then SOLD! @ the Monster Mopar Weekend in Indy! :crybaby:
I never thought it would sell that quick, I only got to drive it 4-5 times! What a freaking BEAST!!!
- built 440
- reverse manusl
- 3500 10" conv
All equals extreme lack of traction from the little 275/60/15's!
Man it was scary fun, cant wait to build the next A body!

Possibly a big block '67-69 Cuda this time. . . :thumrigh:

Attachments

• recent Duster 037.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 111
  • recent Duster 035.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 123
  • recent Duster 036.JPG
    150.6 KB · Views: 121
-
Back