new to a bodies with 71 scamp 408ci

-

sparkie573

Reaction score
Ok all, so I bought dans 71 408ci scamp from kansas.

I am wanting to make it into a fun all around car and handle good. not to familiar with a bodies as I have been into cudas.

The cars current combo consists of; new front stock suspension with polly bushings, ss rear leaf springs relocated to fit 275/60 15" mickeys, kyb shocks all around, home made sub frame connectors that seem well built, stock 318 torsion bars, manual brakes with 11" rear drums and front disks and spindles from a 73 duster mounted on the front side, manual stearing, no sway bars or mounting tabs. the car has an a body 8 3/4 with 3.23 gears and strange axles. and for the real goodies it has; 833 4 speed, with lakewood bellhousing, centerforce clutch, hurst 4 speed and rods, and a 408ci engine with forged internals, edelbrock heads, eddy air gap intake, msd ignition, aed carb and holley blue fuel pump.

first on my do do list is going to be some sway bars and the second thing that is going to be on my list is some 18" coys wheels and sticky rubber,
then probably going to change the shocks, so bilsteins maybe but not for sure yet. Then I need to get some sound deadening in the interior and some tail pipes. :)

anything else?

dang got you on the first post lol welcome! lets see what you got going so far. idk a ton about handling but if its stock height I would drop it down a little.

I went and looked at Dan's Scamp because I knew it was a good deal, but I had to pass because my Dart would have never gotten finished!! Here is a pic of the car.

DansScamp038Medium_zps73c96b7f.jpg

There's 45 more pics here if anyone is interested.

It is a nice car, full of nice high performance parts. I'm having a 408 built by the same guy who did Dan's engine.

Let me ask you this, do you plan on driving the car on the streets of Missouri or is going to be a strip only machine? If you are planning on driving it on the streets, the first things I would do would make sure it would pass inspection. It has no horn, or wiper linkage. Or heater for that matter!! I would also find out why the lower control arms are sitting down on the bump stops and why the right inner tie rod end is dangerously close to the header. With the suspension under compression, this could cause the steering to bind.

Not trying to be a buzz kill on your new purchase but I would make sure these important safety issues are sorted out before worrying about replacing the shocks, adding sway bars, or new wheels and tires.

thanks brian.
yes the car needs "A LOT" of piddly things. horn, heater, wiper linkage. Ha, all just details. I weighed it as this.If you started with a clean canvas of a dart or scamp scoring it at even $1000 You could not build the car for the price and its a great start. It just needs fine tuning and tinkering. there were many other small issues that i found that need addressed.

As for the torsion bars and tie rods, I will need to check them out. I need to get it over to my buddies and get it on his lift. As I have not been able to do much this past week. Any ideas on it??? im wondering if the torsion bars aren't clocked right or turned all the way down. Or maybe something else?

Welcome,check out AutoxCuda. 408 powered ,road race Cuda .Smart man on chassis set up..Nice find,BTW.

If you started with a clean canvas of a dart or scamp scoring it at even $1000 You could not build the car for the price and its a great start. It just needs fine tuning and tinkering. there were many other small issues that i found that need addressed.

You don't have to convince me!! Hell, I was thinking of buying it as a parts car!!! lol Dan had close to $15k in that car. $10k in the engine alone. And he only put 300 miles on it. The engine still has the original oil in it!!

As for the torsion bars and tie rods, I will need to check them out. I need to get it over to my buddies and get it on his lift. As I have not been able to do much this past week. Any ideas on it??? im wondering if the torsion bars aren't clocked right or turned all the way down. Or maybe something else?

I would try and look at the suspension on a drive on rack if possible. If you use a lift the wheels will hang down and throw everything off. I'll send you a PM.

-
Back