New to A bodies

-

nybronc90

Reaction score
Ok, I'm looking at a 71 scamp, supposed to be a performance car from factory ?, 340 stroked engine orig no. ( haven't checked this yet ) factory glass hood ?, factory rear spring moved in 2 inches ?, inner wheel wells have been removed,and needs a dash pad and seats, any thoughts, want to make it a street car, also lexan windshield mounted in factory way, needs glass in it to put on street, car is a orig. metal, no rot anywhere, spent most of its time on track, did Plymouth offer a race package in the 71 model year ? car does have full interior, thanks, nybronc

The Scamp was never offered as a performance model. In '71 only the Duster & Demon were offered as performance A bodies. The mods on the Scamp are obviously not factory. May be a good deal if the price is right. Get someone who knows Mopars to look at it with you.

I won't say they NEVER put a 340 in a Scamp from the factory, but I've never seen one. That aside, it sounds like a cool car. What kind of money are they asking? Any pics you can share? Oh, and welcome to FABO! Jim

Well I'll go ahead and say never on the 71 Scamp with a factory installed 340. Also never on he springs moved inboard from the factory. You need to take someone with you that knows there Mopar history to look at the car for you. Either the seller doesn't know much more than you or he is blowing smoke up your tail pipe.

Welcome and I agree with everyone here take someone that knows Mopars to look over the car.

Well I'll go ahead and say never on the 71 Scamp with a factory installed 340. Also never on he springs moved inboard from the factory. You need to take someone with you that knows there Mopar history to look at the car for you. Either the seller doesn't know much more than you or he is blowing smoke up your tail pipe.

Gotta admit though, a 340 Scamp is something they should've built! And don't forget about the 71 340 Swinger Specials that were built. That's why I won't say never. There might just be a test mule out there somewhere. ;)

Welcome to the site.. You've come to the right place, there's tons of knowledge and support..

Don't be surprised if a member near you offers some help lookin at it,,

good luck.. cheers

Gotta admit though, a 340 Scamp is something they should've built! And don't forget about the 71 340 Swinger Specials that were built. That's why I won't say never. There might just be a test mule out there somewhere. ;)

Your right, there are a few combo's I wish they built. 70-71 383 Darts come to mind right off the top of my noodle.

I agree with all of the above. Additionally, the fiberglass hood is not factory, and there never was a "factory" stroked 340....

well I know the engine was stroked after the fact, but according to him its a no.'s matching car, the engine was redone, stroked, alum. heads, etc., I do have the vin no. to check, and I'm sure the hood is aftermarket, I might not have been around Mopar but I do have a long history of GM, its been a few years but believe me I don't believe everything a seller says, anyway 1 racing bucket, aftermarket gauges in orig dash spot, also have orig. dash cluster with car along with a set of hood hinges, hood can be hinged, lift off now, rear springs inboard 2 inches, trans brake with new tci trans and converter, unibody tied in, but no inner wheel wells ?, bolt in but do they add strength to front end ? I know GM doesn't they are plastic, but metal ones on swinger ?, anyone near Henrietta NY ? I have a feeling its a redone auto 6 orig. but as long as its all metal ( as he says ) and turns 10.3 ( he says ) and he has a title and orig. parts such as dash ect., but no dash pad with car, I want to lift the front end and rear for the gasser look and poke a tunnel ram thru the hood so I'm not a real stickler on orig. with this car, I appreciate all the responses, pro street is OK but being I'm a grandfather I like the older look when I started going to the track ! and of course the orig. factory hi perf look is great too !back in the day our Mobil was full of Roadrunners, GTO's, Camaro's, Chevelles, Nova's, Dusters, the first time around for the cars, wish I knew then what I know now !! I remember I was about ten when I went for a ride in a new 426 Roadrunner one of the guys who worked for us just bought !, a lot of bench racing went on who, was faster, and a lot of racing ! Not sure how my dad put up with it !

Post the fifth letter of the vin. That will tell us what the original engine was. Bet it was a B or C for a slant 6. Or a G for a 318 . Look on the side of the block, the casting numbers are there and include engine size. Example 340-3 or 318-5 etc.

Found out its a 6 cyl. car, I have a Kubota mid size loader backhoe he wants to trade me for, 753 orig. hours on it, a great running machine, I was selling it for 14,500, or trade for a gasser or a nice muscle car, adding up a new windshield, ( one in it is lexan ),a dash pad, prob. 275.00, and setting the car up my way as a gasser and 2 bucket seats for it , I may be spending some money versus trading for another car, or selling outright and buying a car

I was going to trade him a compact Kubota loader backhoe , orig. 753 hours on it, a great little machine, i'm selling it for 14,500, or trade for gasser or muscle car, after thinking a new windshield ( lexan in it now, 2 buckets ( one race seat in it,) setting it up with a tunnel ram, carbs, new glass hood to cut and paint, lifting car, it adds up, theres a lot of nice clean cars out there, if this one is all metal as he says, of course he said a lot up till now, not so sure !

actually there were a destroked 340 to 305 cid to compete in the can am series
I agree with all of the above. Additionally, the fiberglass hood is not factory, and there never was a "factory" stroked 340....

your better off selling outrite and buying a car with cash leftover for upgrades
Found out its a 6 cyl. car, I have a Kubota mid size loader backhoe he wants to trade me for, 753 orig. hours on it, a great running machine, I was selling it for 14,500, or trade for a gasser or a nice muscle car, adding up a new windshield, ( one in it is lexan ),a dash pad, prob. 275.00, and setting the car up my way as a gasser and 2 bucket seats for it , I may be spending some money versus trading for another car, or selling outright and buying a car

I did check numbers, a 6 cyl. auto car orig. !! not some factory muscle car as he said ! it does look nice , blue black interior, looks straight in pics but it is still a 6 cyl. swinger car that's been worked on, rather see a dart gt. or other factory muscle car, whether its a Mopar, GM, or older gasser type. basically its a swinger built for the track but can be put on the street with some work. it was on crags list, or I believe racing junk for 20,000, but didn't sell !!

Thanks for every ones help and interest , prob still be looking for something so keep me in mind, like the smaller cars, darts, swingers up to 71 or 72, right now have a trade listed here, my Kubota maybe something will work out, again thanks to all that wrote in !

If you're planning on cutting it up, starting with a 6 cylinder makes more sense. Why cut up a more expensive model? Buy the best body you can afford and have at it!

Keep your Kubota and try to sell outright..
Do research on what exactly you want.

Never listen to someone who needs what you have as to want they want to trade, money talks bullshit walks

If you're planning on cutting it up, starting with a 6 cylinder makes more sense. Why cut up a more expensive model? Buy the best body you can afford and have at it!

X 2 My Demon is a desert find that had no engine or trans. The Demon was originally a /6 auto with factory air. It has been fun to build it up to suit me and my budget.

Avoid cars with vinyl roofs that are in less than perfect condition. At a minimum you'll end up re-skinning the roof at worst you'll replace everything above the base of the windshield.

well I'd like to start with a v8 car , 383 if poss or 440, obviously a car someone put together, then raise it for the gasser look, getting a runner already is easier than chasing parts around to drop a v8 in a 6 car, and doing what I have in mind I could lower it back down with no permanent changes to a nice v8 car, buy a second hood to paint and cut for tunnel ram ,that way even a car with a orig. 340 hood or other could be kept and stored for future use on car, don't worry I wouldn't cut up a orig. anything, on my past cars I only changed what could be put back to orig. if I so desired , never a fan of cutting up anything, unless bought with wheel wells already cut out for what ever reason.

-
Back