new to building mopars, but been a fan my whole life

-

slyhog2007

Reaction score
Hi, My names william. i just recently aquired a 1970 duster from a friend i work with. its an it use to be a slant 6 car but since the car come with 3 360 blocks, one of which is puched 30 over, and 2 trannys, a 904 and a 727, i was just wanting to get some thoughts or tips on building a decent, but well preforming 360. my goals are at least 400 hp to the wheels, i plan on using the car for local street class drags, as well as a weekend cruser. the engines pretty much have everything i need ever a purple shaft cam, since the guy im buying from never got around to building it. ok back to what im wanting.
like i said about 400 to the wheels, but i dont belive the 8.25 rear end will handle it, so i was thinking about a ford 9" with a 4 link set up, and a faily built 727, mind you i work at a dodge dealership as a tech so i can get parts at a farly reasonable cost. it also comes with a jet of "j" head which i have been told flow alot better that the stock ones, i was just wanting to get some fedback from other guys or gals that have built similar to even better cars than my plans have set as well as any mopar engine building tips, sorry i sound like im rambling on. just wanted to introduce myself and get so feedback/help along the way

Welcome to Fabo, I haven't been here long but everyone here seems friendly and helpful. I'm not sure what an 8.25 is actually rated for in terms of power, right now I'm pushing mid 300hp through mine and it's standing strong. As far as making 400hp with a 360 you shouldn't have to work to hard, lil bit of nitrous will go a long way, boost, or it's readily attainable N/A. It all depends on how much street driving you plan on doing with the car. I personally went with turbos on my 318, running a stock engine and 6lbs of boost I'm in the 400hp crank area and I haven't gotten to tune it yet. There are other guys on here who can prolly help you out more than I can, but best of luck.

Welcome aboard to both of you! This place is only as good as its membership, and it's the best one there is! You've found the "only" spot on the net to be. We're glad to have you guys here.

400 HP at the wheels ia approx. 480 - 500 HP at the crank.

J heads are stock head and normally come with 1.88 - 1.60 valves.

The 8-1/4 will probably not last to long at this power level. The torque will probably wreck it.
A 8-3/4 will hold the power and is very much like the Ford 9 in the center section will drop out. There a bolt in where the Ford is not and not truely any stronger by a margin worth while considering. Poorer pinion angle. There is also a DANA to think about. You can find them brand spanking new from Moser and Strange.

The 4 link is involved in it's set up but unless your running really fast, and I mean really fast, I'd look at a cal trac system. A buddy of mine is running low 9's and pulling wheels with them. I forget his 60 fotters, but IIRC, they were 1.7 or 1.6. ( Not bad for a daliy driver huh? )
There also alot easier to install.

The 904 will require alot more work to beef up to handle the HP of the engine, but is worth some time in it's use.
The 727 is a bit heavier and slower than a 904 but requires less build up work to handle a bit of HP. It also use's more HP to run. So plan on more HP crank power to meet your goal. Ethier way, on ethier trans, I'd have then fully redone and to spec.

Since you work at a Dodge dealership, the MoPar parts line is at your finger tips. Look into ethier the BP (Big Port) aluminum comando heads or the W-9 for the standard block.

Welcome to the club

wow alot more replys that i expected, thanks alot. as far as pics the guy im buying from claims it to be an gold duster, with valiant badging. id have to take a trip out there to get pics and everything. its been setting in his garage for 17 years, motor and tranys pulled started doing body work but never finished. but that dont bother me one bit. i have always dreamed of owing a part of history, wish it was a 440+6 challenger, but i will gladly take a duster. he has almost everything i need to put it together, evn lime green paint!!! and a strip for the side.one quick question, block colors... i want to be as correct as possible with my color combo, so what colors did a 360 come in??? i was thinking hemi orage of couse but would that be correct??? not trying to restore it, jut want to make it mine, with keeping it right. i plan on spending alot of time with the body work so the paint is beautiful. and i love the mopar rally wheels. :) im only 21 so if it takes me 6-7 years to do everything i want so be it! i plan on only running 1/8 mile drags since those are the only tracks around here, but only every once in a while. it will be my weekend cruzer something to take out and enjoy. this is also my first build im doing out of my own pocket, with no help from anyone, to make it even that much more special. and for those wondering where my love for mopar came from it was when i was 7 years old and got to see my first drag race, hemi charger, 454 chevile, charger dusted it, and there began my love!

-
Back