New to Dart

-

mrichard

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just purchased my first Mopar. It's a survivor, 1972 Dart Four Door. Very simple with the slant six, three on the tree, power nothing, and four wheel drums. 39,500 original miles, got it for $2k.

The previous owner bought it after the original owner passed away. He did the following: New Michelin tires, master cylinder and brakes all the way around, shocks front and rear, wheel bearings, fuel tank, lines and fuel pump. Installed a professionally rebuilt carburetor as well as a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit. It has had a complete tune up including plugs, wires, cap and battery.

Question for you all: What other items should I be on the lookout for or check over when I get it? Any areas that are common to fail or that you would recommend I upgrade? Also, how hard is it to convert the front drums to disc brakes?

I'm in Ashburn, VA and attached a few pics of the car.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

dart8.jpg

Dart3.jpg

dart15.jpg

dart5.jpg

Nice score and welcome to the site!!

I would say belts and hoses might need to be replaced, then drive the wheels off that thing.

Disc brakes off of 73-76 Darts can easily be swapped and complete set ups are for sale every week here on FABO.

Hi all,

Just purchased my first Mopar. It's a survivor, 1972 Dart Four Door. Very simple with the slant six, three on the tree, power nothing, and four wheel drums. 39,500 original miles, got it for $2k.

The previous owner bought it after the original owner passed away. He did the following: New Michelin tires, master cylinder and brakes all the way around, shocks front and rear, wheel bearings, fuel tank, lines and fuel pump. Installed a professionally rebuilt carburetor as well as a Pertronix electronic ignition conversion kit. It has had a complete tune up including plugs, wires, cap and battery.

Question for you all: What other items should I be on the lookout for or check over when I get it? Any areas that are common to fail or that you would recommend I upgrade? Also, how hard is it to convert the front drums to disc brakes?

I'm in Ashburn, VA and attached a few pics of the car.

Thanks for your help.

Mark

Man, is that trunk on your car clean or what?!!!
Still love the 4 doors! Great looking car ya got there! I would love to have it!!
Welcome to FABO!8)

Yeah, I was wondering about it. It almost looks like it had a new panel put in it. Or is all that seam sealing stock from the factory. Either way I agree. Looks pretty good to me. Should be on it's way from Columbus, OH this AM.

Welcome on the board! I remember seeing this car for sale a few times and thinking it was a sharp one. Tune-up parts and technique suggestions in this thread. The engine is probably about due for its first valve adjustment. Carburetor operation and repair manuals and links to training movies and carb repair/modification threads are posted here for free download. Hope the previous owner kept the original carb rather than turning it in as a core when he installed that rebuilt carburetor. You'll want to replace any hoses and belts not already replaced, including the fuel line hoses (don't forget the piece that connects the fuel tank to the hardline, back at the back of the car); you may at the same time wish to do the Fuel line mod. Cost and difficulty of a disc brake swap depends on which disc brake swap you do; there are many ways of doing this.

Awesome. thanks. I do believe he saved the original carb and it's in the trunk. Appreciate the help.

I would hate me too! We'll see if it's as good as he says!! But for 2k, well, I could find a lot worse "entertainment".

-
Back