New to forum - 72 Demon project

-

monoptn

Mopar Aficianado
Reaction score
Greetings! I've been into mopars for some time, and primarily lurk at Moparts.com. I recently added an a body project to my garage, and thought I'd introduce myself, and pick your brains! (my other current mopr is a 69 GTX)

I found this 1 owner /six demon on craigslist, and had to bring it home! I drove it about 185 miles home when I bought it with no issues. It's a nice solid car with one repaint. There's some bubbling and rust in the quarters, but that's it. My original plan was to blast and repaint the whole thing, but after some thought and consultation, I'm gonna fix the quarters and blend the paint. This way I'll have less money in the car, and have a car I can drive without too much fear of parking lot dings. I'll finish it out with the 73 demon matte black hood and stripes, and do the side stripes and rear panel mask stripe.

The /6 is out, and I found a 76 360 at the junkyard that had just come in. I got all the accessories/brackets/transmission (904) for $200. It's not seized up, and the oil and antifreeze look fine, so I am hoping for the best. The rear end is a 7 1/4, which I will upgraded at some point.

I'm gonna have a mild buid done on this, bring the compression to around 9.5:1, and drop it back in the car with schumacher mounts, and let it breath with some headers. Not sure what heads to use yet....suggestions appreciated. I'm not looking for a monster, just somewhere around 300-350hp.

Any suggestions appreciated on the build, potential install issues I may face.

Thanks a body bretheren!

MonopTN

demon.jpg

Welcome to the site, the Demon looks great! You will get plenty of answers on this site, people here are very helpful! Good luck, Keith.

not a bad looking car as it sits i would say.

i am in the middle of a swap so ill just let others who know all that is required fill you in.

But welcome to the site.. share your knowledge as questions.. its all good.

PDR_0343.jpg

PDR_0343.jpg

Welcome, Should make a good daily driver. J or X heads would be good on that application, or get a set of out of the box edelbrocks and have some fun. Definitely need a wheel and tire upgrade. :headbang:

Welcome from NY

Post the pics along the way. It will be great to see what you do with it.

Here's my original 340 Demon taken back in 1982 when it was 10 years old.

Resized340DemonMikeandTim.jpg

Resized340DemonMikeandTim.jpg

Welcome and congrade's on the craigslists list driver.

I have got to find me one :headbang:

Yep, it's petty blue. I'm still debating the wheels....it'll be mopar rallyes or cragar SS, not sure which yet.

Since disassembly, I've been collecting parts - kickpanels, a pillar mouldings, seatcovers, etc. Also, I've cleaned up and repainted the grille and tail lights. A few pix are attached of the progress, along with a before shot.

small1.JPG

small2.jpg

small3.jpg

small4.jpg

small5.jpg

Welcome to the board!

You may want to look at magnum heads. They will support the HP your looking for with no mods and they are cheap. You just have to make sure that you get the right pushrods.
The stripe package you are looking at is for the 72 Demon and can be had from Phoenix Graphixs at a reasonable price.

Jack

Thanks Jack. Where do I find magnum heads, and what were they specifically used on? I've heard them mentioned many times, I assume they are off a more recent model LA motor.

Here's an update from today!

enginebay.jpg

enginebay1.jpg

That's looking much cleaner. Most junk yards will have the magnum heads. They are standard on the 318's and 360's from about 94 and up. What you are looking for are heads that have the rockers on pedestals instead of rocker arms and have the closed chamber. Most of the JY's around here will sell a set for 50 to 75 dollars. I wouldn't go with a cam any bigger than a .480 lift with them though as they have 1.6 rockers and the valve gear can't handle much more than that. You can go to www.bigblockranger.com and read all about the conversion.

Jack

Another questions regarding the slant 6 to 360 conversion using schumacher or trans-dapt motor mounts...

1. If I use an edelbrock airgap intake, will the hood close, or will a scoop be required for clearance?

2. Will I need new throttle cable and trans kickdown brackets, or will the ones on my 360 work?

The longblock is going to the engine shop friday!

It clears, but barely. Your kickdown will work just fine. I used the slant six accelerator cable in my car, but it does'nt quite look right. Has worked for years. Careful on J/Y magnum heads they had a tendency to crack btwn vavles. Make sure you get enough warranty to have them maged and pressure checked b4 install. They make good power. You could however by the aluminum version from edelbrock for about $1200

Welcome to the site and good luck in your build. I agree watch for cracks in the magnum heads and definately get them checked properly. If they are good then you have a decent setup for a small amount. Sometimes you can get a good deal on X or J heads buthe then the seats have to be changed for unleaded gas use if they haven't already been. Take it easy on the 71/4 rear with that 360 setup until you get it changed, they not too tough!

Since I live just down the road from you (Elkton) I may see you this summer in CKV.

72 red Demon
31K original miles

John

John,

Yes, we'll have to hook up. I go to the cruise in occasionally - used to be at K-mart, now it's at Dairy Queen on Madison St. I sent you a PM also.

monoptn

Motor to the builder and trans to the shop today. All my interior parts have arrived...just a few more pieces to the puzzle....valve covers, breather, alternator PS brackets, and prob a new alt and starter. Then it's time to put it all back together. The body man gets it next week (I hope..u know how that goes!)

monptn. welcome aboard. sounds like things are moving alone. one thing need to remember/know though, since you are getting new starter and maybe headers get you a mini starter. just my .02
I just retired from ft campbell. are you in the military? I live about hour north from there. there are a few here that live within an hour from clarksville. Good luck
Jeff

No, I'm not military. Been here all my life. I was planning to get a mini starter, thanks for the mention though...I'm new to the a-body scene, so every bit of advice is appreciated.

What I will really need next is a few nice photos of alternator brackets and power steering brackets installed on the small block. Does anyone have a few reference photos I could view? Probably getting ahead of myself here, but at least I'll have them when the reassembly begins!)

If all goes well, the Demon's going to the body man tomorrow. I've made some progress on the trim recently with paint from Rob at www.mopaint.com, and kickpanels and a pillar mouldings from ebay.

panels.jpg

Welcome once again and realy nice work on the panels. It looks like your project is coming along nicely.

-
Back