New to Forum GenIII Swap Questions

-

67cudaGenIII

Reaction score
I have been reading and trying to get a feel for the Gen3 swap. The car I want to do this on is a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible. It will be for my father's 67th birthday which is two years away. His first vehicle he bought new was a 67 cuda convertible. White on red with a black top. He doesn't quite remember the motor that was in there but that does not matter.

For the build I want to do something unique and simple for him to get in and drive everyday. I have a line on a 5.7l hemi and would really like this setup. I would like to have power steering and ac as the car will be living in texas and that place aint cold! I've read countless articles and just wanted to put this thread out there as a place for me to hear more expert opinions. So any help with tranny, suspension, fuel deliver, or modifications I need to make would be more than welcomed. I do not want to pinch pennies or get taken to the cleaners, just want some honest words of advice.

Got the GenIII from a junkyard that I got to demo the motor for $250 so I am slightly ahead.

I have been reading and trying to get a feel for the Gen3 swap. The car I want to do this on is a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible. It will be for my father's 67th birthday which is two years away. His first vehicle he bought new was a 67 cuda convertible. White on red with a black top. He doesn't quite remember the motor that was in there but that does not matter.

For the build I want to do something unique and simple for him to get in and drive everyday. I have a line on a 5.7l hemi and would really like this setup. I would like to have power steering and ac as the car will be living in texas and that place aint cold! I've read countless articles and just wanted to put this thread out there as a place for me to hear more expert opinions. So any help with tranny, suspension, fuel deliver, or modifications I need to make would be more than welcomed. I do not want to pinch pennies or get taken to the cleaners, just want some honest words of advice.

Got the GenIII from a junkyard that I got to demo the motor for $250 so I am slightly ahead.
Wow, $250 is a deal! I'm in Central Tx if you ever want to come take a look, mine's a race car though, so can't help you with power steering or A/C, but I can show you whose parts I went with and what tranny I used.....

Wow, $250 is a deal! I'm in Central Tx if you ever want to come take a look, mine's a race car though, so can't help you with power steering or A/C, but I can show you whose parts I went with and what tranny I used.....

Generous offer Robin......Thats the first thing Id be doing - you can save a lot of pain by using the right conversion parts the 1st time.....especially exhaust, steering and electrical - in these conversions.

I have been reading and trying to get a feel for the Gen3 swap. The car I want to do this on is a 1967 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible. It will be for my father's 67th birthday which is two years away.

Really neat birthday present.
Not sure if you have looked through the thread for my build in a '69 convertible?
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=218445
I've tried to document what I've done plus any problems I've encountered along the way (of which there are many and I'm not finished yet!!)
There are certainly different ways of doing this compared to my approach (and in hindsight - probably less expensive!!)
Jim

Based on what you're saying I'd think you're pretty much looking at an AlterK subframe with TTI headers at the least. There's a fair amount of flexibility in the engine management, but if you got all the factory wiring and computer stuff you could stay stock and just have to upgrade the fuel system to handle the higher pressures. An in-tank pump is really the way to go on that in most people's opinions (mine included). Not sure what you'd have to do for A/C on the inside of the car, but the parts that came with the 5.7 should be fine on the engine side.

Transmissions are probably the main point where any real fabrication starts happening. Since it sounds like you're looking for a "modern classic", you're probably going to want something with overdrive unless you only plan to do town cruising. If you do want to go overdrive, about the only way to get it stock is the 833 O/D (which isn't typically well received and maybe a little fragile behind a hemi) or a gearvendors unit tacked on behind a classic trans. I don't believe any of the modern O/D units fit without some modification, but I'm not as familiar with the automatics since I went with a 6 speed, so I may be wrong.

Passion Performance makes a 5 speed manual trans that is modeled after the 833 and bolts in with no modifications. It is not cheap, but if you add up the TKO kits and others out there it comes to about the same. If you want to go automatic without having to do major surgery there is at least one company that offers a GM overdrive trans with a Mopar bell housing. The GM trans is narrower than the 727 based overdrive transmissions so it does not require modifications. The only company that I know of that is currently making this trans is Silver Sport Transmissions, formerly Keisler Transmissions.

Wow thanks for all the replies! I didn't think I would get this much response!
Is liberty hill close to Dallas robin? My father lives outside of rockwall.

I'm going to be reading through red wings build tonight as I've been studying this project for a few months.

I am leaning toward the alterkation subframe which looks like a great product. As soon as I send the engine to a friends shop to be looked at than I'll know my budget better on the frame.

I've been talking to bouchillon performance and they recommending a Chrysler 545RFE tranny from an 05-10 ram. I found one for $350 with 70k on it. I'm leaning auto but would like a 6 speed if I made this for me. My concern is if I need to cut the tunnel will it impact the console shifter that I want to use.

Thanks a lot for the replies, I haven't used a forum since my old turbo Volvo days

Liberty Hill is about a 3 hour drive from the Dallas area. 15 miles west of Georgetown, which is on IH-35.

-
Back