new to forum hi. 273 commando question?

-

poppys67toy

slow learner
Reaction score
hi I am new to the forum . I bought a 1967 barracuda fast back and have checking it over to see what it needs it runs and drives has a 273 commando engine but a 7-1/4 rear diff . would like to find a 8-3/4 sure grip want to know what kind of power I can get from the commando or should I abandon it for a built 360 or better . thanks for the info and your patience .larry:clock:

you will hear both sides of this. I would say keep it, others will say that you can use a 340, 360, etc and put the commando trim on it. There are seveal posts on here. use the search and put in 273 commando and you will find numerous threads with a lot of ideas and opinions.
bamacuda

1) 1965 Barracuda Commando 273 4 speed
1) 1965 Valiant Signet Commando 273 Auto "special project" coming soon!

That is an open ended question. What do you want to do with the car? are you rebuilding to stock or modded? The 273 is a fine powerplant and can be a real high rev screamer. The 8 3/4 wil be hard to find and expensive. Try looking for an 8 1/4. There are mor ofthose and they are cheap!

It really all depends on how fast you want to go and how fast you want to empty your wallet.

John D. Beckerley
Austin, Texas

Welcome to Fabo. Your HP 273 was rated at 235 Hp from the factory. They are fun engines. Yes the 273 is a two sided coin. If you want to keep the car original the 273 will be just fine. The 8-3/4 would be a bonus but not necessary if you drive it easy. If you don't need to keep it original and you want to drive it like you stole it put a big motor and all the rest of the parts needed and have fun!

oh p.s. Welcome to FABO!
I built mine .030 over with the domed pistons. Used the adjustable rockers. went hydraulic, used light wrist pins, new cam, hope to do the break-in soon.

Leanna is doing my valve covers (check out cudachick on here, She does A#1 powder coating) and i will have 2 extra sets, one correct for 67.

My 67 Fastback Has A 273 Ho And A 7 1/4 323 Also. I Don't Know Why They Didn't
Put The8 3/4 In The Commandos.

hi I am new to the forum . I bought a 1967 barracuda fast back and have checking it over to see what it needs it runs and drives has a 273 commando engine but a 7-1/4 rear diff . would like to find a 8-3/4 sure grip want to know what kind of power I can get from the commando or should I abandon it for a built 360 or better . thanks for the info and your patience .larry:clock:

My 67 came with an 8 3/4..It's a Formula S convertible and I bought it new. I don't believe the 66 S came that way. You might have a early build. They could have been using up stock. By the way I'm told the sure-grip 7 1/4 is a lot stronger then the peg leg.

Welcome to FABO! I think you could make more power and a lot more torque with the 360 for less money. But thats just me.

Hey Welcome, I like my 273. I will end up keeping it wether or not it is in the car or on a stand. They are cool little motors. I was lucky enough to score a complete 8 3/4 drum to drum last summer. My car is a 4 spd so depending on my mood the 7 1/4 is a time bomb.

65Dart 002.jpg

65Dart 001.jpg

Welcome to FABO Larry!!8)
I will pass on the comando question, you will have enough opinions on that without mine.
If ya want to get rid of it PM me! LOL!!!:-D

75-86.jpg

75-87.jpg

My 67 came with an 8 3/4..It's a Formula S convertible and I bought it new. I don't believe the 66 S came that way. You might have a early build. They could have been using up stock. By the way I'm told the sure-grip 7 1/4 is a lot stronger then the peg leg.
welcome...8 3/4 was an option in 66. If your 67 is going to be a street machine ,I,d go with a 360. Good luck.

you will hear both sides of this. I would say keep it, others will say that you can use a 340, 360, etc and put the commando trim on it. There are seveal posts on here. use the search and put in 273 commando and you will find numerous threads with a lot of ideas and opinions.
bamacuda

1) 1965 Barracuda Commando 273 4 speed
1) 1965 Valiant Signet Commando 273 Auto "special project" coming soon!
thanks for the input I want to keep it all mopar for now I am just adding headers and dual exhaust checking out the engine trans and replacing seals tires and stuff mostly stock will drive it for a while then decide whether to mod or not . it will need some body and paint and interior. stuff have posted some pics by accident on my reply. will do better next time

hi and thanks to all of you that sent your various replys to my questions. just want to say I am very happy that I joined and have more info than I expected but dont stop keep it coming . thanks again if you are interested I was trying to send pics to a member but I posted them on my reply check it out . thanks again

-
Back