New-to-Me '72 Swinger in Nebraska

-

the_engineers

Reaction score
I suppose I should introduce myself now that I've been lurking for a week and registered for a few days. My name is Brooks. My wife, Nancy, and I have a '71 'Cuda and spend most of our forum time over on Cuda-Challenger.com.

This past weekend we went, checked out, and bought a 1972 Dart Swinger. The car is \6, auto, 7.25. W1 White with B5 interior and originally a B5 vinyl top. Bench seat, AM, PS, manual drums, no A/C.

The bad:
- Fairly rusty on the bottom 2-3" of the rear quarters and some rust above the wheel openings.
- I vacuumed 10 lbs of mouse crap out of the back seat and trunk, but the smell is still pretty strong.
- Original grill was smashed and replaced with a 1970-71 Plymouth grille, which was subsequently smashed...did I mention old people owned it?

The good:
- Body is extremely solid. I emptied the trunk, removed the mat, removed the seats and carpet. No rust anywhere in the floor pan or trunk floor!
- Under side of the car did not receive any aftermarket undercoating and is very, very clean
- No hacking/molesting has occurred. An aftermarket radio was installed (and removed) at some point. They hung brackets below the dash, tapped ACC power and ran separate wire for the speakers.
- After sitting for 2-6 years in storage, a new battery got it to fire. We towed it home and won't start it again until after a full fluid flush, but it's driveable.

The plan:
We already have a fire-breathing monster in the 'Cuda. The plan for the Dart is far more of a cruiser/pro-touring concept. Here's what we've kicked around so far:

Paint: Two-tone. Metallic Magenta above the door handles. Escalade white below.
Engine: Everything from a 5.7 to a SRT 2.4 has been talked about. No progress thus far.
Trans: Automatic, maybe O/D
Rear: 8 3/4 although I have a friend who narrowed a Magnum IRS with amazing results.
Suspension: Go-kart...I'm thinking an XV or Hotchkis kit. I have several friends who run SCCA.
Brakes: Big. My DD is a G35 with Brembo's. That's the "road feel" I'm after.
Wheels/Tires: 17 x 7's with 225 or 235/45R17's
Interior: Late-model front seats and either late rear bench or buckets with a console...

The questions:
- Front suspension: I see a lot of early vs. late discussion. Is that pre-/post '73 or pre-/post '70. Basically, how much of what I have can I re-use? LCA's? Spindles will depend on the brakes I buy. I have a set of FJM's that I can use if we got OEM. UCA's? When do the K-members change?
- What are some of the must-have's for the car?
- Anybody using a hydroboost set-up?
- Is there a factory tilt column that fits?
- Anyone have a floor shift column?

I'm sure there will be more...

Oh, one more...how can I find replies to my posts and the posts that I've written. I'm looking, but not seeing...

Attachments

• dr.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 242
  • ps.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 212
  • dr qtr.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 215
  • ps qtr.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 218
  • frt.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 234
  • the_engineers.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 224
The questions:
- Front suspension: I see a lot of early vs. late discussion. Is that pre-/post '73 or pre-/post '70. Basically, how much of what I have can I re-use? LCA's? Spindles will depend on the brakes I buy. I have a set of FJM's that I can use if we got OEM. UCA's? When do the K-members change?
- What are some of the must-have's for the car?
- Anybody using a hydroboost set-up?
- Is there a factory tilt column that fits?
- Anyone have a floor shift column?

I'm sure there will be more...

Oh, one more...how can I find replies to my posts and the posts that I've written. I'm looking, but not seeing...

73 up is Big bolt pattern and 72 back is small bolt pattern. All share the same OEM lower control arms unless the car has a sway bar. If it has a sway bar the above year splits come in to play. Upper controls arms are split between the same years.

K frame changed in 1973 to the spool type from the biscut type but either will work. A slant 6 takes a different K frame that a small block but there are conversion mounts available.

Not that I am aware of.

Welcome to A bodies. Great project you picked up, also a sweet Cuda too

Welcome to FABO! Man I gotta say, the duster grille jamed into that dart is interesting! LOL!

It does have a sway bar...

You can use all your existing assembly (LCA and sway bar) with the (BBP) big bolt pattern spindles that are 73 up. Your sway bar will be wider than the 73 up and if you go to the BBP you have to mount the calipers on the rear side of the front wheel. To do this you mount the right on the left and vice-versa. The lower ball joints remain on their original location. There is more to this but this should give you some information.

Also... To find you other posts just click on your name above the junior member and it will open a new window. There you can click on find other posts.

Welcome,nice cars.If you want info quickly,try thr search engine.There arr at least three pro touting threads here.Also in the video section,a sublime green Valiant road racing with full Hotchkis setup,check it out.

Any pictures of that shortened IRS and how it bolted in? Any videos of it working? And what is it bolted into?

Welcome to FABO! If you are not going to keep the slant you could drop it off at my place! Seriously you are not that far away and I'm into them. PM me if you want.

The build date is April, 1972. The idler arm looks like the same one as my 'Cuda, with the bolt going through it. If I use Magnum force or F,J,M body spindles and go to an aftermarket sway bar kit, do I still need the later lower control arms? Will E-body LCA's work?

Welcome to FABO The_Engineers!

You will enjoy this site - There are lots of great people and information

Nice cars! Looking forward to the dart looking as good as your Cuda!

Enjoy the site!

Ma Snart

My 67 Cuda for your viewing pleasure - more pictures in my gallery

Attachments

• 1st Drag Race Rear View Staging with Me.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 112
Any pictures of that shortened IRS and how it bolted in? Any videos of it working? And what is it bolted into?
'34 Plymouth Business Coupe. I have a pic of the car somewhere, but no video. The guy is looking for any pics he might have.

It was pretty sick.

73 up is Big bolt pattern and 72 back is small bolt pattern. All share the same OEM lower control arms unless the car has a sway bar. If it has a sway bar the above year splits come in to play. Upper controls arms are split between the same years.

K frame changed in 1973 to the spool type from the biscut type but either will work. A slant 6 takes a different K frame that a small block but there are conversion mounts available.

Not that I am aware of.
Can I just remove the factory sway bar tabs and weld on new that will come with the kit? Does the later sway bar go through the K-member?

Anyone got a slant six '73 up K-member for sale?

-
Back