New to me SS Barracuda clone

-

danan

Reaction score
I’ve been gathering parts for several years to build a SS Barracuda clone that I’m going to paint in period-correct livery, but through a serendipitous coincidence I picked up a beautiful car built by Greg Fernando at SS & AFX.

The previous owner had it built to be a nostalgia racer and has a stout solid roller cam, 12.5:1 compression, and Stage V heads and rockers. It’s a 4 spd car with a 4.56 Dana. Besides the required race parts (fuel system, cage, line lock, seat belts, etc), the car is quite authentic. It even has lightweight side glass.

I’m beyond excited and can’t wait to race the car! But first I have to find and correct a low oil pressure issue (fully disclosed by the seller).

I’m still going to proceed with my own SS build so my wife and I can match race. I’m very excited about this car and hope you enjoy the pictures.

BBD6E0C5-0AA0-4A12-9727-C78D4094EC4C.jpeg

030ED51D-F527-4B29-90A4-03FF07FCFEF9.jpeg

48C16E6D-9E5C-4549-8193-544F7D0A47EF.png

4C4C3A56-3903-484E-83D0-EACC134F8BF4.jpeg

It almost looks like the one we had. Ours was the first built by Greg Fernald of SS/AFX and we (Mr. Norms Garage) sold it to Greg Nelson after having it for several years. Was originally a 69 Formula S 340 and when Fernald did it he painted it orange, we did the S&M scheme. I drove the crap out of it, the Gear Vendors overdrive made the car totally driveable and the Vintage Air made it tolerable in the Scottsdale, AZ heat. Looks like yours is closer to the original scheme, cool!

68 S&M clone.JPG

Last edited:
It almost looks like the one we had. Ours was the first built by Greg Fernald of SS/AFX and we (Mr. Norms Garage) sold it to Greg Nelson after having it for several years. Was originally a 69 Formula S 340 and when Fernald did it he painted it orange, we did the S&M scheme. I drove the crap out of it, the Gear Vendors overdrive made the car totally driveable and the Vintage Air made it tolerable in the Scottsdale, AZ heat. Looks like yours is closer to the original scheme, cool!

View attachment 1716173083
We also made a modern Challenger S&M car and raffled it off...

Sox and Martin clones.JPG

Thanks all! Greg did a beautiful job on this car. Thus far I’ve only idled it on and off the trailer due to only having 15-20 lbs of oil pressure at idle, but I’m extremely impressed with how easily it fires up and how well-mannered it is. I thought the crossram would be a real bear, but it runs great.

The sound of a cammed race Hemi at idle is one of the top ten most beautiful sounds in the world.

I love the paint scheme on the Sox and Martin cars.

I just did mine in black. I'm red, white and blue in my heart but my cars are reflected in my soul:lol:

Nice car man!!

20201101_112558.jpg

20201101_122934.jpg

20170103_122047.jpg

20201101_170649.jpg

Clementine, that is a wicked car. Very clever paint scheme. Love it. What engine?

Clementine, that is a wicked car. Very clever paint scheme. Love it. What engine?
Thanks!

Its a no numbers 383 4 speed car. I think its a 1965 383. Nothin special, but I am looking forward to the "sorting" while driving it vs the "sorting" while lying under the dash:). I hope to see some video of yours launching into a 9sec 1/4!!

HemiSSDart,

I can only imagine the looks you got driving that Barracuda on the street. What a beast!

Do you have a factory L0 car?!

Wow, that’s a holy grail car for sure. I hope you chronicle the restoration here; we would all love to see it.

If you’re looking for one for your wife I have one for sale. Message me for info. Thanks, Troy

Troy Pics SF22 Dave P Sm13.jpeg

-
Back