New to me

-

darkstargp

Reaction score
This 68' GT V8 (273) Convertible has been in the ex-wife's family since the 70's. My father-in-law drove it all the time and it did spend several years in my garage where I kept it in good running order. After he passed it went to my sister-in-law where she invested and did a partial restoration on it and added the GTS stripe while at it. It has been garaged for the last 7 years and never been driven since it was painted - a shame. I always asked for right of first refusal if she ever wanted to sell it as I wanted to keep it in the family for my boys someday and for me for a while.

I took it out of storage and cleaned it up a bit and had it running in a day or two. A few bugs from sitting so long, but took it out today for a 20 mile ride with no problems. Next up, some wider tires and rims, replace the rear springs and remove the air shocks (but they are the only thing currently helping keeping it level and won't hold air).

So a few A-Body/Dart newbie questions:
> Can the convertible top hydro pistons be rebuilt? Are they serviceable by replacing the seals and wipers? If so does someone sell a kit of can I just head to the local hydo-shop to get the parts I need?
> Will stock rear springs lift the back as I see some people selling 1" drop rears; does this just drop the car level instead of raked?
> Rim and Tires size combos and offset? I want to go bigger, I think factory the largest was E or F70/14s, but I want to at least go to 15's and won't mind a little wider in the back? I have seen some threads here so I may find that answer here.

Attachments

• smallpassengerside.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 125
Nice car, and welcome aboard! I love the "family" cars with history.

I am unsure about the pistons. I do know that the 80's and 90's K car convertibles used the same pump and motor - from recollection only the electrical connector is different. Good plan on getting rid of the air shocks. Yes, replacing the rear springs will restore the factory ride height. If you take the rear leaf springs to your local spring shop and tell them how much you want to raise the rear they will rebuild and re arc the springs to whatever ride height you want.

Hey darkstargp, welcome to FABO from SoCal! You'll find this is the best A-body site on the web with lots of helpful folks ready to provide tons of info.
I think you may find http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/45_conversionchart.html one of the best reference charts on tire size.
Back in 1970 I put some G70-14 tires on my '69 340 Swinger which had the same size wheelwell as your '68 GT. They fit just fine. Looking at the Tire Rack chart, it looks like you should easily be able to fit either a 225/70R15, 235/65R15 or 245/60R15 on your Dart - depending on what height sidewall you're looking for. I strongly suggest buying the correct width wheel to keep the sidewalls from bulging caused by a too narrow wheel. I also strongly suggest doing some careful measuring so you get the proper wheel offset to center the wheel/tire combo in the wheelwell.
Also, measure both sides! Mother Mopar most times did not get the differential centered in the car.
Post some pics of your GT's new shoes when you get them.

Thanks everyone - very helpful. I think I have to get the rear springs fixed first before trying to fit new rubber. I figure in CT I have about 6 more weeks of good weather with the top down before parking it for the winter.

-
Back